I ordered custom Wheels

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I decided what I need are better wheels for the Cadillac. The ones on it now are ok, but they're a little skinny. They run 1.95 tires and I don't feel they're good for much wider. Partly because of the small tires, but mostly my massive rear end, I've already broken a spoke once. I'd like to be able to run 2.125, or maybe 2.5 tires to get a little more cushy ride.

So what I did was go to my favorite bike store, REI, and order a set of custom made wheels. They're going to be 26" double wall, 28 mm wide, and compatible for V brakes, because I'm running a rear V brake. The hubs are sealed bearing, disk brake hubs, with quick release axles, and a 7 gear cassette. I tried to get 12g spokes, but the mechanic couldn't find any, so I'll have to make do with 14g.

I have good working relationship with the mechanic there. He's already repaired 3 wheels for me, and he's aware I'm using them on a motor bicycle. All his work for me has been wheel repair, and they've all been perfectly true, and tight after he gets through with them. He's one of these guys that uses a torque wrench on the spokes. Total cost for both wheels is $350 including labor. They should be good ones.

I'm also going to need a wider BB, because right now there's very little room between my tire, expansion chamber, and the peddle crank. I bought a 153 mm BB from SBP for this purpose.

Another added benifit to a bigger tire that I'm looking forward to is, taller gearing. Right now I'm falling just short of 40 mph, and would have to pull 7400 rpm to do it with my 36T. At that speed my powwa is already starting to drop off. I think I could pull 40 with a little taller gearing, and lower rpm.

It seems like a lot of money until you consider, just one wheel for my Harley cost over $1000.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
I'm doing the same in the custom built rims and hubs. Tires no doubt will end up Motorcycle tires. As I don't see anything up in the 2.3 to 2.7 range that's got anything of good tread. Like I said before, they resemble cheater slicks more closely. Would rather get knobbys, but they drop off the radar at 2.

Think I'll be having Chopper US custom built rims and hubs. But still working out the specifics of the rear axle and tranny. Something I'm taking a slow snail's pace on.

As I'm building a three wheeler with posi traction. I want to get up to 3 to 4 with the rear wheels. 2.7 at the lease with the front. Tire height, I was going with 26 all the way around. Not so sure thats what I'll do now. I need to start looking closer at whats available in motorcycle tires. And where that crosses into what can still be built by Chopper US. But they do say "Any Specs" so we'll see.

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.shft.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Yep, seen both of those. Niether would make DOT standards to pass Title application Inspection.

Sorry thing is that these are the best of what most have, for tread, outside of knobby tires. And yet the width for a motorized vehicle demands a wider tire. Which for our type motorized bicycle builds get to the upperside of the high 2's. Mine in particular, gets a little bigger than that and into the 3's. Cause it's gonna be a 3-wheeler, plus I'm using that big HF212cc, I believe that to be the minimum of what I should be shooting for. Which again raises the bar on the Disc brakes I'll be using.

If it wasn't for being able to work it piece meal, I wouldn't be able to be here at all. Point is, it just bearly makes motorized transportation available to me. Thank God that he gave me the ability!

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.shft.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
That's why I said I'm not sure I'll be going for 26 any more. As the motorcycle tire sizes are different. Figured I might find something simular. With it being a trike though, seems the rear wheels should be slightly lower. I'll see how that goes when I get there. Just now I'm waiting for a conformation in response about some welding beads on the Stretch Cruiser Z2 Tank frame on thread ~ Best Frame Style For A 212 Predator?

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.shft.

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Once again, same ole tread story, seems a little deeper. But also something I'll bet it would be considered bald under a thousand miles. Seeing that in alot of makes. Checked it out at the Thailand manufactures web site ~ Vee Rubber. Comes up with no results in size searches, and they give only the height dimension. To bad too, as they got some knobbys there that would do the trick. (Knobby = Motocross) But they got even less information on any particular tires verses pages of type of tire. They have motorcycle road tires that look good too. Ahh, no biggie, I got plenty of time to search the proper tires out. Thanks much for the assist GearNut. In as far as Paul Crowe comments. saying people only buy wide tires for style, well, just shows he should study function a little more. They might be in fashion, but there is much to be said about where the function of the wide tire meets the road. Also there in, the reason for that deeper tread also and it's function when that thar road is wet.

Thank you Goat Herder, I'll keep Large Marge in mind. That 2.55 inch rim is a nice width, and they offer it in symmetric or off-set. I'd looked at their Surley tires, like I spoke of above. But never thought to check if they had rims.

I figured out how to tell you about Knobbys BikNut. Have you ever heard of Obie One Knobby?
You know, may the farce be with you...

• ® © † Respectfully,.™,
• Aka;
.shft.