Coaster Brake reliablity.

GoldenMotor.com

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I use a coaster brake on my front wheel as a my primary brake, I do have calliper back ups, but I like the coaster. Is my coaster doomed for failure, or do they hold up all right?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Coasters are generally OK... They must be assembled correctly & you must keep the internal parts well greased or they will fail. I always recommend that a good front brake be used on the bike to take some of the stress off the rear coaster.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I rode for years with only a coaster brake and only had one problem going down a 9,000' Mt; They heated up and faded on me. But after they cooled down they worked fine.

I believe with proper maintenance they work great but I always advise to have a back up.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You have it on your front wheel? How is that working out? How did you set it up? Pictures? Also, not all coaster brakes are equal in quality of materials or engineering. I'd like to find an old German Sachs torpedo brake sometime to lace into a heavy duty wheel. They are the ones who invented the coaster brake originally way back when. I wish there was a good source comparing different coaster brakes for stopping power, reliability, etc. I personally like them, but am no expert. I never had trouble with Bendix hubs, but also didn't use them hard.
SB

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
You have it on your front wheel? How is that working out? How did you set it up? Pictures? Also, not all coaster brakes are equal in quality of materials or engineering. I'd like to find an old German Sachs torpedo brake sometime to lace into a heavy duty wheel. They are the ones who invented the coaster brake originally way back when. I wish there was a good source comparing different coaster brakes for stopping power, reliability, etc. I personally like them, but am no expert. I never had trouble with Bendix hubs, but also didn't use them hard.
SB
Here is a post of the build with pic.
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/motorized-diy-swb-bent-31615.html

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I love the coaster brake on my SWB bent build. Went to work and back and it is so nice having a foot brake, and the stopping power is great compared to the calipers I had jimmy rigged. I just don't want the brake to implode while I'm cruising.

rustychrome

Oct 5, 2011
Texas
its an interesting thought. I am new to this so forgive me, but I could see using a coaster brake front wheel and on the sprocket, attach a lever to turn it backwards just as if it were being pedaled. I have to think about this some more.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
I was thinking of the same thing, but you can buy a real drum brake and complete wheel for $70. If you do manage to rig something that can actually work with a bike or motorcycle lever, and it doesnt't release, or jams, it would rat-trap you.

I've got a coaster brake and v-brake on my MB but if I built another mb I'd use a mtn bike with hydro discs or dual v-brakes.

Check out my pics for a rubber-padded conduit strap I used to replace the metal band strap. Much stronger!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If my choice is s coaster rear brake or one of those brakes on a protractor looking things, I'll take the coaster every time.