Bent rim.

GoldenMotor.com

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Rode my bicycle around and have about 200 miles on it with a 44 tooth sprocket (I guess the strain of the engine bent the rim way out of alignment because the chain falls off in about 10 seconds of riding) I took the tube off the bike to see its shape and its really bent.

I know bicycle parts are very common but where can i get a new rim that would be stronger so this wont happen to me. Would like it to be black so it matches the front rim.

Should i find a cheap 26 inch bicycle and use it for parts?

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
"Should i find a cheap 26 inch bicycle and use it for parts?"............ thats what got you in trouble in the first place didnt it?...... if you can afford it, get a quality rear wheel made, otherwise its only a matter of time until you are asking the same question again

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Im from Australia so cant really advise you where to get a wheel or rim, but if it were me id buy a downhill mountain bike rim and new spokes and lace it into your existing hub or buy a new one........ are you running singlespeed or multiple gears....... if multiple gears you can probably find a complete secondhand quality wheelset on EBay for cheap, a lot harder if you are running a singlespeed and want a coaster brake.

But seeing as you are from America you have a lot more choices..... like the Worksman wheelsets..... and probably more.... hopefully someone else can shed more light on this for you

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
A downhill rim will definitely work, certain very wide tyres may be a problem..... but there is no reason why you cant run a downhill rim.

Downhill rims are available in different widths, some no wider then a standard rim. A downhill rim usually have double walled rims which make them stronger

qwerty1

Sep 22, 2011
in a house
How much money do you want to spend.
from a site (cough)
We apologize, but visits to our shop are by appointment only.
Our shop labor rate is $40 per hour + parts. Here is a list of services our shop provides…
LIST follows

Custom wheel building & truing.

spokes are probably a buck apiece.
Plus the rim say 50.00

36holes at 100 =($36.00) plus one hour labor($ 40.00) or more plus the rim( $50.00) say around $136 plus shipping to you ($30.00) for a grand total of around $166.00

BUY the used bicycle

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
How much money do you want to spend.
from a site (cough)
We apologize, but visits to our shop are by appointment only.
Our shop labor rate is $40 per hour + parts. Here is a list of services our shop provides…
LIST follows

Custom wheel building & truing.

spokes are probably a buck apiece.
Plus the rim say 50.00

36holes at 100 =($36.00) plus one hour labor($ 40.00) or more plus the rim( $50.00) say around $136 plus shipping to you ($30.00) for a grand total of around $166.00 BUY the used bicycle

He can do that.... but if he builds/buys a quality wheelset he will most likely never need to worry about his wheels again.... if he buys another bike with questionable wheels its only a matter of time before hes back in the same dilemma....... not to mention the peace of mind of not breaking your neck when your wheels collapse....... well worth the $166 LOL