Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum Brake

GoldenMotor.com

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
If I order the Sturmey Archer Dynamo Drum Brake for my Stretch Cruiser bike, is there any special technique to installing it?

I need a lever and cable, I assume. What is the best way to install the brake so that the look of the cruiser is not compromised?

Elaia_Lychnia

Jul 15, 2011
Canada
I will be picking up the bike next week - the motor should be delivered about the same time.

Then I can get to work figuring out what will work and what needs to be upgraded.

I like the idea up upgrading the wheels, adding a hub adaptor and upgraded sprocket and brakes, but some options are simply turning out to be too expensive and require me to take the bike into a shop to have stuff done.

I want to upgrade it, but with options that are affordable that I will be able to do myself.

If I get this fork you recommend, will it work for a disk brake system? I know I can order a front disk brake with lever and cable for about $50. Can I use that on my bike with the fork and wheel that will come with the Firmstrong Bikes ?

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
The whole point of the fork I suggested is you can do linear pull rim brakes with no modifications. If you don't want to do a rim brake (which will be more than enough to stop you) then you COULD use the fork already on that bike but first of all, you will need to re-lace the wheel to put in a disc brake hub or get a wheel that can accept a disc, and second, you will need to have a block specially made and welded to the fork so that you can attach a brake caliper. The easiest solution for you I believe is this Amazon.com: Avid Single Digit 5 Bicycle Linear Pull Brake (Black, Front or Rear): Sports & Outdoors for $15, the rim brake fork for $55, and a cable and lever Amazon.com: Avid FR-5 Single Lever: Sports & Outdoors for Amazon.com: XLC Brake Cable & Housing, Universal Black / Lined: Sports & Outdoors for about $12-13 Your total cost will be around $85 and you will have a good, reliable, and easy to install front brake that will not need modifying or welding to work :) Peace
-LS

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
Yeah, no problem. I've been beating around the bush on the disc thing for that exact reason, unless your bike comes with them or can easily take a disc wheel and fork (which aint cheap) rim brakes do the job just fine :)