What Expansion chamber to buy?

GoldenMotor.com

What pipe is better?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
Im debating between purchasing the banana pipe sold by BGF and the Sick bike parts pipe. Not sure which to get because they are almost the same price.

If anyone owns both of them and can compare the 2 pipes performance wise etc

Feel free to review the pipe you own, looking for as much feedback as possible.

Thanks,
-Chad

Last edited:

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I'd go with the SBP pipe, it is tuned just right for these engines. The SBP pipe can be mounted differently, and it allows you to go use bigger jets if needed. On a lot of short header pipes or direct flow into the chamber like the BGF, you'll need to rejet to be leaner other wise the exhaust rebound will be too much and the bike will run way rich. To me, it makes no sense to put on a bigger exhaust and have to jet down for it to run right. Thats opposite!

The SBP kit is a good bolt on that gives instant power, because of the short style, the BGF pipe is meant for top-end power and unless you have the mods to compensate then the pipe will be useless; and you may have clearance issues. SBP has always been great, I have never trusted BGF.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Can't say about the banana pipe since I don't have one. Do have the SBP and I like it. And I can't say enough good things about the guys at SBP. They are forum members, contribute and are part of our community... fellow motorbike enthusiasts. And they value their reputation. Nuff said, IMO.
SB

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Can't say about the banana pipe since I don't have one. Do have the SBP and I like it. And I can't say enough good things about the guys at SBP. They are forum members, contribute and are part of our community... fellow motorbike enthusiasts. And they value their reputation. Nuff said, IMO.
SB
Well said.

A few pieces of silicon hose that came with my kit tore. Sent the guys an email and had a tracking number for another hose the next day!

socialdistortionkid

May 14, 2011
Orange County, CA
I like how the SBP pipe comes with different ways to mount, the other pipe just mounts like the stock pipe which is not very sturdy.

Most people on this forum have said good things about the SBP pipe but if someone could comment on the banana pipe`s performance that would be great.

-Chad

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I can comment on both, as I have both.

The banana pipe is alright - but it's power band is WAYYY at the top of the top end, took me about 1/5 - 1/4 mile for it to kick in, but when it did it was sweet. What would help it's performace would be if the stinger came off at a 45 degree and extended a foot or two to really get some top end gain. It's loud - if you want a loud pipe, here it is. This is not a midrange/lowtorque pipe, this is for WOT topping out. As well, it has a LOT of room to grow, if you can weld or have access to welding it would benefit from an inch or two on the header pipe so it kicks in a bit earlier.

The SBP pipe is great in that it is fairly all-around. It gives you the mid to low end torque to accelerate up hills, while at the same time gives a nice clean top end. Though, I don't think for a bolt on mod it gets as fast as the banana pipe at WOT. I do like the sleeved parts - makes it nice and easy to adjust as you need. As well, it's easy to get extra parts. I think it could stand to have some length cut off the header tube and it definitely needs a longer stinger - instead of a stinger it has a muffler, which is the first to go when I get a small grinder.

sparky300

Jul 18, 2011
Albuquerque NM
With all that said about the SBP pipe...

Anyone use header wrap on the pipe OVER the silicone w/o it melting or breaking? Hi-temp silicone is only good to 500 deg right? The EGT temp at the header is 1300 +or-

I'd like to wrap my pipe but am hesitant.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Thing is I've read of many who use plain old black rubber heater hose and get away with it. I did notice the silicone tubing closest to the motor was in worse shape than the rest but that's to be expected.

I've also read bad things about useing the header wrap. I'd use it where ever you might touch the pipe when riding. If you use the pipe up-swept then protecting the inside of your legs would be important to me ;)

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
I've heard that's really common with the catalytic exhausts, I'd remove the palladium inserts so see if that helps.

I'm using heater hose on the fittings on my SBP pipe - can't use hose clamps though is the trick to it.