need starter info

GoldenMotor.com

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I got a wild hair to build a scooter based on a GruBee after looking at a Honda 50cc scoot yesterday. It had a lot of open frame and was kinda cute. About the only bodywork was a pretty large cargo box behind the handlebars. I need a rope starter for it and seems like I remember someone made one for sale. Guys?

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I think if I can find a bearing small enough on the o.d. I can machine a block from magnesium (Gee, guys, that's all I have in chunks) and put a 14 mm socket in it . I can weld something on the end to mount a starter pulley. I will helicoil 10 x 32 allen heads in the 4 holes to be a bit more substantial. At first I might just use the 3/8" square hole with a battery drill to see if I can live with it. Ya know, there is ratcheting small sprockets that could be mounted on the socket and use a harp bracket with a bike chain and recoil spring like B&S did in 1927 with the FH engine. Then I would have a kick starter. It would come out of engagement in the up position.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
If you were also pretty dern clever you could get one of those pull start kits, and figure out a way to attach the engagement cup to the shaft of an electric starter motor, then you don't have to fool with any kind of body power. I often feel that if someone made a good electric starter for these engines a lot of people would want them :)