Lousey Brakes & Smokin' Shoes

GoldenMotor.com

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
Replaced pads on my stock (Huffy) rim pinchers (front &rear) also bought a new rear cable & double brake lever. I still need good shoes to stop her (rider tops 200lbs). Don't want to spend more $ on this squid (the more you chew it, the bigger it gets) than I have to. What can I do to STOP??:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are your rims clean. A stock exhaust will get oil on the rear rims and make the brakes useless.
Check the alignment of the pads against the rims. Most have some adjustment so the pad gets full contact against the rim. You'll want as little clearance as possible between the rim and pad.
What pads are you using. The harder the compound the harder the braking action. They'll last longer than a soft pad but require more pressure to stop you.
200lbs isn't too heavy for good brakes. You're weight isn't the problem.
I know you said you don't want to spend more $ but, if you want the best brakes possible, go with discs.
Tom

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
Tom,
Thanks. Guess I have to do some brake pad research. In the mean time I'll clean the rim and pads w. Dawn to see if that helps.
Mike

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
RE: Brakes
Cleaned the rims and pads with brake cleaner to remove grease. Also re-adjusted & greased cable. Not much better.

Yesterday ordered KOOLSTOP EAGLECLAW-2 DUAL pads. Maybe that will do it.
If not... Time to get my shoes resoled.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Get some with larger surface area if you can. My stock pads were fairly small. My new set is about 1/3 longer, and they brake about 1/3 better too.

30Ratt

Mar 8, 2011
Lewes, DE
The KOOLSTOP EAGLECLAW-2 DUAL pads did the trick. They about threw me over the handlebars when I braked for the first time. They are about 2x as long and the color is salmon. very stoppy. Thanks guys!

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
The KOOLSTOP EAGLECLAW-2 DUAL pads did the trick. They about threw me over the handlebars when I braked for the first time. They are about 2x as long and the color is salmon. very stoppy. Thanks guys!
Yes, the KoolStop's work great, especially with v-brakes. I use the salmon/black pads and can stop on a dime.

dnut