I think I need a new rear wheel

GoldenMotor.com

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Looking over my bike tonight I found a broken spoke and my rear wheel is out of true. It's about as straight as a slide at the water park lol. I've been noticing it's been getting a little out of true but now all of a sudden it's trash.

Probably running over my muffler at 34 mph yesterday didn't to it much good.

It's a 26" with coaster brake. What's the best way to attack this problem?

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Get an HD Wheel/hub set-up with 12G spokes....the one Spooky Tooth has for $150 with stainless steel spokes are what I use. And yes I know...that's how much we paid for our Ridgedaleslafflafflaff

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
That's the best wheel but make sure it will fit your frame right scotto ;)
Yes....I really had to stretch both of the aluminum framed cruisers to make them fit and was able to do it manually with physical strength.....barely.

You need roughly 5-1/2" between the rear drop-outs. Both of mine were less than 5".

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
On the other end of the scale of HD spoked coaster wheel in 2.125 rims, 26" are ones from - | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories for around $50.00 with shipping. I've used several of these and have also used Worksman, Husky and Weinman. These from bike world are the least expensive, but they are stout heavy duty wheels. I've never had one fail, but the chrome does not hold up very well. Some time I'm going to experiment with using clear coat on a new wheel to see if it helps make the chrome hold up better. I've done that on other parts and think it is worth trying sometime. I always use heavy duty wheels. Which level of quality depends on the budget. But all of these mentioned will give a strong wheel which is what you want under power.
SB

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Get an HD Wheel/hub set-up with 12G spokes....the one Spooky Tooth has for $150 with stainless steel spokes are what I use. And yes I know...that's how much we paid for our Ridgedaleslafflafflaff
I think I'll pass this time but considering all the wheels I'll probably be going through maybe next time. Before I'm through the only stock part on this bike will probably be the main frame anyway.

On the other end of the scale of HD spoked coaster wheel in 2.125 rims, 26" are ones from - | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories for around $50.00 with shipping. I've used several of these and have also used Worksman, Husky and Weinman. These from bike world are the least expensive, but they are stout heavy duty wheels. I've never had one fail, but the chrome does not hold up very well. Some time I'm going to experiment with using clear coat on a new wheel to see if it helps make the chrome hold up better. I've done that on other parts and think it is worth trying sometime. I always use heavy duty wheels. Which level of quality depends on the budget. But all of these mentioned will give a strong wheel which is what you want under power.
SB
Thanks for the link silverbear. I'm going to be needing that one in the future.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
What I think I'm going to do is buy a new $35 alloy wheel from Pirate. That's really just going to be a temporary fix I know, but it will fit my hub adaptor and solve my problem for now.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I knew the wheel that came on my bike was cheap pos. It's only about 1.25" wide. I expected to have to replace it especially when I saw my bike getting up to 30 mph. I'm suprised it took as long as it has to go bad.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Today i got a new wheel from Pirate Cycle. For $35 I got a wheel that's identical to my stock wheel. It's a little better assembly quality than mine was from the factory. Less roll out.

Pirate Cycle rocks as usual.