the evolution of my mountain bike.

GoldenMotor.com

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well heres the story on my mtb that i have and call little blue. I recieved the frame from some one i know that was going to throw it out in the dump, and after recieving it i had it in my shop sitting around for a year doing nothing but collecting dust so two years ago during late march i started working on it. As you can see it's an early 1986/87 raleigh rocky 3 lugged mtb frame with a sakae crank set as well as japanese rubber sealed bearing cups, along with a a shimano atlas c 50 hang type derailluer along with shimano cantilever rear breaks and zoom front suspension forks as well as zoom handle bars with a one inch rise to them as well as a trever ritchey goose neck put on it. Also i put a lee chi break lever on the right side and a shimano v-break lever on the left side along with some unknowen type of v-breaks on the front fork. For the saddle i put on a 1956 brooks springer saddle along with a bell handle bar bag hanging of the back of it.I also put a shwinn left sided velcro strapped removable handle bar mirrior and also later i added a seat post bag for the inside of the frame made by supercycle.The motor i used for the bike was a chris hill ch-80 kit which i ran with a 44 tooth sprocket as well as a ngk b6hs spark plug. I originally used the 1.8 liter gas tank for a while untill i changed it out for a 2.5 liter gas tank. Also on the white wire i hooked up a generator head light with a 6.3 volt 150 milliamp light bulb that got 3000 hours on average,as well as a ccm rear break light hooked up to the rear breaks on the bike.In the end i put at least 15.500 k.m. on that motor.xct2cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Later on i added a rear rack made by pletscher company in switzerland, also added a saddle bag on the right hand side of the rack which was originally a camera bag that i tied on the side.I could carry at least 250 milliliters 2 stroke oil in one pouch and a 500 milliliter bottle of water in another pouch. I turned this bike into a touring bike that i took on some long range trips with ,from sudbury to sturgeon falls last year in the late summer as well as during last years labour day holiday i attempted to go to north bay with it, along with a friend of mine. I ended up getting a flat tire along the way but got it fixed with my friends help. But we ended up spending the night at a motel in sturgeon falls. The next morning we took off for home and took the farm roads back up to verner and then the rest of the way back up to highway 17.xct2cflg p.s. this set of pic's where of the road trip that my buddie and i attempted to take to northbay.

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
The last road trip i took on this bike was late march just this year from sudbury to esponola turn off which is 68 k.m. from sudbury and it took me 1 hour and 48 minutes to get there the only thing that i forgot to bring with me on that last road trip was my camera doh! oh well i'll remember that next time. I had a strong head wind all the way there but when i got to the turn off there was a tim hortons there and i had a quick coffee and doghnutt then i headed back home which was much better because the head wind i mentioned earlier on turned in to a nice tail wind heading back home, which was nice. But that was the last trip i took with the two stroke motor before i decided to retire it. Here's the pic's of the bike in it's final configuration just before i put a four stroke motor in it. In the end i put 15.500 k.m. on this motor and it was a strong puller still but i decided to retire it for future posterity and preservation.Hopfully soon i'll add in the next posting the pic's of the bike in it's most recent configuration with the fourstroke kit.xct2cflg

Attachments

Last edited:

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
The recycled frames make some of the coolest motor bikes. Maybe because the owners are more apt to experiment.

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Thats very true there wheel bender. You woundn't belive the hours i spent on making it just right but then again as they say the pursuit of pefection is a never ending process and oh yes by the way heres some of the latest pic's of the bike in it's latest format with the grubee 4gt belt drive four stroke kit that i got from terry blow at [email protected] just this past late march, this year. It took me about four days to install the kit on my bike, in which the intallation process went pretty smooth over all. All in all i'm very pleased with the performance of the hs 142f series 4-stroke motor compaired to my two smoker and plus it's very fast indeed as well as the fact is now i don't have to mix the oil with the gas but i can now go directly to the pump and put sraight 87 octain gas in the tank ,thats a plus in it's self and usually now it ends up costing me on average 90 cents to fill it up.xct2cflg

p.s thank you terry for this kit. Also this is the very first 4-stroke kit that i've ever owned and i'm liking it.

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well here are some new pic's of the bike on my way out to narin center as well as returning back from there. all in all i traveled over 112 k.m. that day. By the time i got back my bike was covered in so much dust it took me over an hour to get it cleaned up lol. Changed the oil the next day top off the tank and away i went again. Oh and by the way i refueled at narin center esso gas bar and it only cost me $1.39 for gas there and back lol.cflgxct2 p.s. note in the last pic i was riding part of the trans canada trail system from livley to walden.

Attachments

Last edited:

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
well i've added a few new parts to the bike since last ,like a new inline fuel filter fresh fuel shut off valve and three l.e.d. head lights as well as a new speedo. Hopfully i'll keep up dating this thread as i go along riding as well. I'm going to try to get some fresh pics of the bike soon when i get the chance to.cflgxct2

whelan wheels

Jan 9, 2009
sudbury,ontario,canada
Well as i was saying early'er on that i was going to add fresh pics i finally have one to show with the whole side view profile of the bike. This pic was taken on the same day just after compleating the build by a friend of mine on his cell phone camera. xct2 cflg

Attachments