Ever think about making your own frame?

GoldenMotor.com

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Seems that bending pipe isn't as difficult as it seems nor does it require expensive pipe bending equipment.

I found this web page by a clever guy who explains how to bend pipe with simple shop tools.
There are even charts of jig radii for desired outside radii.

He also has a calculator for drawing large ellipses (might be hard to find a protractor big enough for a bending jig).

And another page where you can calculate, download and print cutting patterns for mitering the tube ends before welding.

Last edited:

sojudave

Oct 18, 2008
austin tx
Thanks for the info. I eventually want to start building my own frames. The closest thing I tried about 2 years ago was welding two bike frames together to make a chopper. It almost worked but I really didn't know what I was doing and there were several design flaws.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
I'm really liking this thread Maxvision, here's a link to purchasing a mini-chopper all the steel tubing is included, you just have to figure out where weld in a bottom bracket for your pedal crank to build it as a motorized bicycle.

Here's the Link below just click on it to go to the page:
Mini Chopper Frame Building Kits

QTY- 1 Mini Chopper You Weld Frame & Fork Kit.

Parts included (Frame Kit)
2- Lower Frame Rails
2- Upper Aft Ends
1- Rear Hoop Section
1- 12"x9" Motor Mount Skid Plate
1- 6" Length Neck Tube W/ Bearings
1- Backbone Support
1- Seat Post
2- Rear Axle Flange Brackets(Live or Dead axle avail.)

2- 38" Fork Tubes
1- Drag Bars
2 -Triple Trees
2- Fork Tabs

Part#KIT12

**Only $99.99**

You can do it all you need is welder.

Peace Crazy Horse.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thought about building my own frame ....and i did....3 times
now haha very rewarding when you sit back and look at your
finished bike i tell you and TBH it really isn't that difficult...I
did have welding skills and have been playing with metal
since i was a teenager but i believe anyone with medium
skills and heap of enthusiasm could tackle a frame and
build their dream bike....

My latest custom frame when it came back from the powdercoaters-->

And the finished bike

Frame cost less than 100 bucks in materials to build and about a solid
days work to get tacked up another morning to completely weld
and clean.

Also made me a trike frame-->

All done in my home workshop using a 175 dollar gasless mig purchased off Ebay :)

Hope the pics might inspire others to have a go at their own custom projects
you just wont get the same level of satisfaction fitting kits to a store bought bike
you do when you build one from ground up!

KiM

Maxvision

Jun 13, 2009
San Diego, CA
Thought about building my own frame ....and i did....3 times
now.

All done in my home workshop using a 175 dollar gasless mig purchased off Ebay :)

Hope the pics might inspire others to have a go at their own custom projects
you just wont get the same level of satisfaction fitting kits to a store bought bike
you do when you build one from ground up!

KiM

You're a true artist Kim. Beautiful curves, very inspiring.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
You're a true artist Kim. Beautiful curves, very inspiring.
Thankyou Maxvision, as i said it really ain't that difficult just need the right attitude, with the interwebz
as a tool you can learn how to do alot these days in the comfort of your own home IMHO laziness is the true preventer of alot of people trying similar **** i'm a paraplegic if i can do this sitting in a wheelchair able bodies should breeze it in!

Best of luck mate

KiM

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Great work Kim! I've been contemplating building my own frame but what scares me is wasting money I don't have on material and not having it come out straight. As it is these stupid gas tanks are painful enough to make.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Great work Kim! I've been contemplating building my own frame but what scares me is wasting money I don't have on material and not having it come out straight. As it is these stupid gas tanks are painful enough to make.
What you do is pick up old bikes cut them up and practise your welding till your
happy with it then buy your tubing for the custom frame. A frame Jig is a must for keeping things straight. I believe theres a sticky on ratrodbikes.com for frame jigs or freakbikenations.com forum i forget which, if you need direction on how to put together a simple frame jig.

Best of luck

KiM

Weyant

Jul 29, 2010
Germany
Whatever you do please let a professional welder put the pieces together for you. A bad weld could easily cause a death. When i built my bobber i sent it out to be hardtailed , even though i am ASE certified in welding. The extra $$ is worth my life haha. When i was young my dads friend welded my broke bike back together. 2 days later in broke in half while i was riding it, couldnt imagine that at 40 M.P.H

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
^^dont need to pay for that, sign up on Freakbike Nation or Ratrod Bike forums and you have information for building frame jigs in the stickies plus input from many members that already built/building custom frames. HEAPS of custom frames on those two forums so surprised more of the guys there aren't here and fitting motors to their bikes some just scream for motorising...

Weyant-totally disagree, you don't need a professional welder to weld up a mild steel or even chromo bicycle frame once you are capable of running decent welds, no offence but your old mans mate must have been pretty shoddy welder if he couldnt weld a bike frame up without it breaking...

KiM

Weyant

Jul 29, 2010
Germany
true that, but theres a lotmore to welding than a nice bead.. a nice bead may look good but if you got no penetration your F'c