Help with this....

GoldenMotor.com

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
While accelerating my bike runs great, but as soon as I get to a stable run(no acceleration)throttle in one place , it sounds like it`s 4stroking....Lean/rich????Needle is full lean and plug is on the dark side.....Stock motor/carb.and filter....Any ideals....I did drill a 1/2' hole in the air filter cover....Might need more????
Thanks....
Paul....

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's almost normal, except the black plug part. You can clean your filter, and don't re-oil it. You can also open up the air cover.

Maybe time for a new plug?

Finally, (and I rarely suggest this) mix your next batch of gas/oil mix with a little more oil, it will lean out the air/fuel ratio.

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Aaah, ok Joe.....I just came back from trying it without an airfilter in the housing and it was a little worse.....I kinda thought it was the nature of the beast but wasn`t sure.....It`s probably showing rich because I sealed up my case`s all along the split with silicone, since then it`s been a rich *****......
Thanks Joe.....

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Ahhh! Could you fellas please explain for my limited experience, exactly what Four Stroking is.... and what it sounds like. Also why it's somewhat Normal for these engines.
Example: Today I've messed with my clip position. Leave it in second slot is best for low and high end, however I take off, run up rpm's and hit a place where the engine stutters a little then it climbs through it and rev's higher & hits a minor sputter again till it runs flat out, sometimes rev'in higher sometimes not quite so high.

66cc, NGKB6HS plug, stock everything, on 3rd gallon of fuel running 24:1mix with Bel Ray H1R Synthetic oil.

Am I 4 stroking when it's sputtering? What is causing it. Was thinking of messing with main jet sizes.
Please explain, I have my ear to the computer.....Ha Ha
Thanks in advance,

Robert
Alajoyn, Portage, Michigan

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Yep, sounds like you are experiencing a slight case of 4stroking.....Yours is a lot better running than mine is as you explain it....But I thinks it does this because of the simplicity of the carb., (no idle circuit).....It can be worked out if you can find just the right combination....It can be as small as drilling a small/big hole in your filter cover, or, needle posistion, or holding your tongue right,lol.....

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Thanks for identifying my "sputtering" however could you explain exactly what 4 stroking is (is it only combusting once in 4 strokes insted of every 2?) and specifically what's it's cause? (seems pointed to fuel atomization or mix issues?) Is it harmful to the engine?

Man.. seems like I have a lot of questions, but I'd really like clarity.

Thanks again,

Alajoyn

Alajoyn

Sep 28, 2009
Portage, MI
Well, I got my questions answered from lookin through this forum site.
Shudda searched 4 stroking earlier, since guys here already did a great job of explaining it prevously,
Thanks to:
2door, BikeguyJoe, BarelyAWake, and the link to the youtube video I know exactly what it sounds like. Now I gotta put my "tun' nin" thinkin cap on.

Man, gotta love this forum eh! Even when I stumble back on myself, others can learn Hee Hee.

Later, & thanks all,

Alajoyn

stuartracing

Dec 9, 2008
Gainesville FL.
Well, I got my questions answered from lookin through this forum site.
Shudda searched 4 stroking earlier, since guys here already did a great job of explaining it prevously,
Thanks to:
2door, BikeguyJoe, BarelyAWake, and the link to the youtube video I know exactly what it sounds like. Now I gotta put my "tun' nin" thinkin cap on.

Man, gotta love this forum eh! Even when I stumble back on myself, others can learn Hee Hee.

Later, & thanks all,

Alajoyn
Glad you found your answer....I couldn`t put it into a technical explanation for ya......