size engine recommend? cent clutch? OCC

GoldenMotor.com

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
I have been doing some research, and I am about to get my project started and wanted some more input.

I have a Schwinn OCC Stingray (20inch x 4 back tire).

I have seen a Centrifigul clutch motor out there, but it is only 48cc... Is that big enough for me (250 lbs dry). I have also seen, what appears a kit or conversion to these chinese engines to change from a clutch lever to a cetrifigul clutch.. what is the take on these?

What is the consensus.. the 66cc engine or, is a 48/49 cc engine enough?

The brand with the best repuation is? I have been reading about the Grubee's, etc, and thinking they maybe best/better, but want other opinions.

I am above average in the mechanical and fabrication skills department, and can figure just about anything out.. Oh, I am also 36, wife, 3 kids, etc... want a hobby project that I can take on my travels and have a little fun on the down time.

I would like to be able to tackle some hills, but I don't mind pedaling to assist either. I am looking for a top speed in the 35 mph.

So far, I am pretty certain I will go with a Maniac Sprocket Adapter mated to his 44t CNC sprocket. I am looking at that cool beefy OCC motor mount from Barry, as well as his custom OCC exhaust.

I am not looking to cheap this out, but, I am not looking to spend my kids college fund either.

Please give me recommendations, thoughts, and a little encouragement. I plan on documenting everything with the build if it will help others..

Thanks again!

/mike

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
WOW,
I have a few occ MB's. One speed centrifgual and 5 speed manual clutch.
That sounds like a large frame to be riding on such a small frame! 250 lb @ 35 mi , you will need all the torque you can muster. (66cc, slant head, tuned exhaust)
To get 35mph, it will require about a 28T sprocket on that small wheel. That will require some good pedal assist on any hill.

Have you actually been pedaling an Occ to see how it feels?

If you really are detrimined to do an OCC, I would go with multi speed setup. You will need the gears if you want to reach 35 and still climb moderate hills.
If you are going multi speed don't rush out and buy a standard mtr mount , jackshaft and exhaust offered for a OCC.
You stated that you have good mechanical skills, very important in this build. Do you have access to a welder and minimal metal working tools?

If so this, this can be a reasonable(cost) and fun project. Myself and many others on this board will be glad to guide you through the project. Their are no questions (about MB's) that can not be answered by someone on this board.

Attachments

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Thanks for the reply.

I have pedaled the OCC.. I can go pretty good in it.. I know, 250lb sounds like a hefty dude, but I am 5'11" I am am kinda broud. I don't look like 250lbs, but that is what I currently am. I fluctuate from 220-250 depending on what I eat. I am a federal public housing inspector, that travels all over, so I get great exercise, but, eating on the road, mostly I eat crap! I need to go on the subway diet, and then I will be buff, at least that is what I tell my wife.

I do have access to a metal tools, here, at my house. My old man (dad), has a full gas bottle and stick weld outfit at his house. Grinders, Chop saws, you name it.

about 10 years ago, he and I, built up a custom 6inch lift for my Subaru Brat (yes it can and has been done, shoulda kept that). It involved custom 6inch lifting blocks, extending shifters, steering shafts, etc.. put 31x9.50 tires on it.. and she would tear the beach and mountains up! just under powered..

I would definately be interested in a multi-speed setup, with a jack shaft. Any advice, is appreciated.

I could go in stages? get a 66 engine, etc, then put together, and tweak with other stuff later? To me, it would not be wasting time and money, as I think it would be a cool project, and learning experience. While I am far from wealthy, I am comfortable, so spending 500-1000 on this project won't hurt me, even if I migrate it to something else later.

I want to stick with a chopper, as I think they are the coolest. I do have a nice Gary Fisher mountain bike that I got 15 years ago for 800 bux, I have taken immaculate care of it, and it is still, like new. That would probably be a better ride and more functional, but I want to do that one later.

Advice? yes, pleast throw it.

To start off small.. I am thinking Grubee 66 cc engine, 40 or 44 t sprocket with cnc sprocket adapter. Beefy mount and exhaust from Barry..

Now, if I change to a jackshaft and/or multi-speed setup later, I just re-sell what I would not be using. The sprocket adapter and sprocket are about 70 bux. the custom exhaust is about 70 bux and the mount is about 60 bux.. all this does not count the about 150 for the engine. I have seen the intake that Maniac offers, and it is cheap, would that be good to have? What about an upgraded air filter? from whom is the best?

Also.. I do want reliability. I plan on taking it on miles out, so I don't want to break down either.. so I want to tune it as best as possible, and make it as reliable as possible.. so no breaking down with stupid stuff breaking, or shearing, or coming loose... so double nutting, and loctite is in order... as well as other mods I would think about along the way.

Thanks again, and sorry to get long winded on this follow up post.. all opinions invited.
/mike

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Sounds like a well thought out plan. Going 1 speed first is a good logical choice. So lets get started! As you have read, the motor has to be offest aprox 3/4" to the to the left. I prefer to build my own mount(cheap and easy/ personally rewarding). A purchased quality mount is also a good option.
The creative eng. adapter is a great idea.(easy to changes sprocket and alignment. Quality item).
However the rag joint can also be made to work. The chain that comes with the kit will be about five inches short for an OCC. You can purchase a extra chain from the MTR vendor or opt for a #41 chain, usually avail at HD/Lowes.

You can purchase an exhaust setup for OCC but, the extra effort to build in a tuned exhast wil give a great power boost(pay now or later). If you purchase the OCc exhaust you can later cut it and weld the tuned pipe to it.

Look up Normans thread about shortening a throttle cable(a good post and you will need to do it).
Grease the wheel bearings well while waiting for your motor to arrive(not loose and not tight).

Flip the standard tank mounting brackets screw or tack weld them to the bar. Building a steering limiter about 110 Deg. will allow you to keep the tank more forward(better look). A chrome tank, if it fits your scheme helps(don't always have worry about fuel spills on tank as much and they can come std with some kits)

Look up OCC seats, many on this board have moved the seat back for better fit(I use standard seat with a spring system).

Don't rush your build(hard to avoid) take your time and do everything the best you can do.

I hope the handle bars on your OCC have some rise.(again for comfort)

Good luck!

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Russell. sent you a PM.. thanks for the advice..

I am looking for any advice (and encouragement).

I would like the cool, custom OCC exhaust, and then later one, cut it and weld in a tuned chamber.. is that reasonable?

The creative Engine Adapter? having problems locating it.. point me in the right direction.

Maniacs Sprocket Adapter and CNC machine sprocket.. looks like the best choice, is it?

Thanks again!!!
/mike

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Creative Eng./Maniac Mechanic/ Jim(one in the same)!
As I said sounds with your size, I would go with the std. 44t sprocket. However while placing the order with Maniac Mechanic, You should order from him the smaller sprocket you want to try out.
I will PM you shortly.

Russ