Which one!!

GoldenMotor.com

Tcams

Oct 18, 2009
Tucson, ZonieLand
Im looking into getting a new sprocket.

I have the stock 44t and am thinking about getting the 36 or 40t but cant decide.

My top speed is about 34-35mph. All stock motor but I have cleaned out the exhaust/intake ports a lil.

I want to hear from those with the 40t or 36t and tell me what you think about them so I can decide.

Thanks

EDIT: I posted this in the wrong place. My bad!

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i started out with a 36. it worked great for me, but i'm 135lbs. pulled hills fine, ran great.

i'm now running a 32, and it's fine for me too. a little sluggish going up hill, but there's not many hills where i ride. on a long straight, i'm hitting 40-43mph. cruises 35 easy. not too bad off the line, either, and it cruises through slow parking lots no problem. maybe i just got a super-deluxe special engine, 'cause everyone else is gonna tell you different.

my 24" rustoration bike i'm building is gonna have a 30 to start with. i've got a 28, too, but that's about the limit. any smaller and there's no clearance between the wheel, the hub and the chain without doing crazy mods.

my 26" seems pretty maxed out as far as gearing goes. anything lower is gonna bog up hills, and take a long time to get up to speed.

a 28 would work great at bonneville, though. you'd have plenty of time to get to top speed.:)

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've run 36T's on a few bikes, they're really fast going down the road but (for me) they really lack power getting up to speed & going up hills. (I weigh around 195 lbs)

I'm really into the 40T sprockets these days!! It gives just a little more top speed, it cuts down the engine RPM's @ WOT, (the engines don't feel like they will blow up from over reving now), & I still have plenty of power & torque for hills! ;)

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I agree with Venice,
I have tried 32, 36, 40, 44, 48, and 50 tooth when running my 2stroke
the 40 is the best compromise between low-end torque, and high-end speed