1 gallon tank and paint

GoldenMotor.com

fakeplay

Jul 26, 2009
newburyport ma
Hello, I purchased a 1 gallon tank but it looked like cr ap when I got it. So... I repainted it flat black and liked the way it looked. Problem....when I fueled it after 2 days of drying the gas started eating the paint. Was I spose to hard coat it ? I don't have access the the machine shop I used to. What coating do they use on the original stock 2.5 gas tank that came with the kit ? Thanks
P.S. will the smoke alarm go off if I bake the painted tank in my house oven say.....on 150 degrees ?

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Especially if you've already put gas in it!

Most spray paints have to cure for a few days before they really are dry and will resist gas.

If you have a hobby shop around get some fuel proof flat black paint. If it'll hold up to alcohol and nitro it'll hold up to gas and 2 cycle oil.

BTW, if you have a garage and 220 going to it an old electric stove works great to bake powder coat.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Especially if you've already put gas in it!

Most spray paints have to cure for a few days before they really are dry and will resist gas.

If you have a hobby shop around get some fuel proof flat black paint. If it'll hold up to alcohol and nitro it'll hold up to gas and 2 cycle oil.

BTW, if you have a garage and 220 going to it an old electric stove works great to bake powder coat.
That's interesting regarding the old electric stove. I'm picturing building something larger say out of firebrick... a kind of oven/kiln large enough to fit in a bicycle frame suspended by wire from the four corners of the oven... use the heating element and controls from the original stove. Would that work, do you think? Powder coat sure is nice.
Silverbear

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
If you want to bake spray paint in an oven, 150F is fine. Do not go over that by too much though.
I would leave the part in for at least 1/2 hour to 45 minuits. I have done it many times in the past with excellent results. No I did not ust the oven in my kitchen! That really is asking for health problems.
I have never tested a part for gasoline resistance, however I have read that appliance epoxy paint holds up well.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
If you want to just cure paint on small parts a toaster oven will work. Check yard sales or thrift shops. Everyone seems to have a toaster oven they don't want. lol

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't bake my tank, guess I need to check out Goodwill for a toaster oven. I did find that Krylon Clear Triple Glaze seems to work. although I spilled some gas on the tank on day after I painted the tank and that caused an issue, since then the glaze appears to be holding up.

I have an old charbroil barbque and I think I might try that as an oven.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
A barbeque will also work as an oven. Set a cookie sheet on the grill between the burner rocks and the bottom of the part too be cooked. Do not let the part set directly on the cookie sheet though. Suspend the part if possible, using coat hangers or really stiff wire to make a jig. Put the whole thing in the barbeque and cook slowly on low heat, checking often untill well done.
Never, ever use the barbeque for cooking food afterwards, ever!!!

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Problem with a BBQ is it would be too hard to regulate the heat, A gas grill adds another issue, when propane or natural gas burns it releases moisture which could mess with your finish.

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
You could sand down the tank and go to wal-mart and get the Krylon spray paint and put three coats of paint letting it dry betwen coats . Set it out in the sun for a day and you will be good to go. I have painted three tanks this way with no problems.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I haven't had much luck with Krylon paint. I have use it because it's the only color that matches the trim on my bike but it seems to scratch VERY easily.

toad772

Jul 12, 2009
canada
A barbeque will also work as an oven. Set a cookie sheet on the grill between the burner rocks and the bottom of the part too be cooked. Do not let the part set directly on the cookie sheet though. Suspend the part if possible, using coat hangers or really stiff wire to make a jig. Put the whole thing in the barbeque and cook slowly on low heat, checking often untill well done.
or you could use the barbecue after it probably wouldn't hurt ya

lordoflightaz

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Ahh that is no fun. Beef Ribs with metalflake would be so cool. I just knew there was some reason I was keeping the Charbroil around besides it history. It's been sitting on the side of my house unused for the last 4 years.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
here in AZ it's hotter on your back than the heat in your face from the bar-b-q :)
I do most of my outdoor cooking in the cooler 80 degree weather...when is that coming anyway???