My Schwinn Legacy

GoldenMotor.com

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
This is my first Motor Bike build. I bought a Schwinn Legacy from Target on sale. The engine is a Grubee Gen II 50cc angle plug ordered from USA Bike Motors. The motor mount is a proto designed and built from Jim at Creative Engineering. The sproket adaptor and sproket was also from Jim. I found Jim to be very talented machinist with alot of good ideas. It was a real pleasure doing business with him and talking about my build and motor bikes. i highly recommend his services.

Attachments

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
Jim thank you for your kind reply. I rode the bike several times today and i think the hard mounts are going to be all i need. The only thing that is going to need attention is the clutch lever that came in the kit. It on the short side and when you set the lock for the clutch it moves back just enough to cause the clutch to engage. I will talk to you about finding a better clutch lever and i can only hope one of your clutch actuators that will fit a Grubee "Hint Hint".

Last edited:

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
Very nice looking bike! Looks like you took your time on the build, and it paid off...

Any word on if/when those motor mounts will be available for purchase?

myke

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I am sooooo getting one of those sprocket adapters! Jim do you have the dimensions for the basic Shimano coaster brake hub? I'm not sure if I still remember how to get an accurate reading off my Vernier Caliper. It's been so long since I used either that or my Micrometer

.scratg

floridaboy

Apr 25, 2009
Hudson, FL.
As far as when the mounts will be ready you will have to talk to Jim. This Mount was a trial run to see how it would work out. It will take a little time to check it out. I think Jim has a good solid design and looks good sofar.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Hey Guys,

I've had a lot of emails and phone calls regarding the engine mount. I am going to be producing them. I need to do a little homework in order to offer the most versatility possible. If you saw the photos in the Jag kit thread, you probably noticed that the mount I sent to MB had a one-piece plate. It was formed for the Jag frame.

Notice in the photos on this thread, the plate is in 2 pieces, with carriage bolts that clamp them together. The 2 piece plate adds a dimension of versatility. The Jag has a 1.515" diameter front tube, the legacy has a 1.670" diameter front tube. I had to make a new clamp front clamp for the Legacy mount. I'm going to think about this for awhile and see if I can come up with a practical way to make universal clamps. There are many ways to do it. Keeping the cost down will be the trick!

This week I am wrapping up a 100 count batch of sprocket adapters & sprockets.

Friday/Saturday and into next week I will be making engines.

Floridaboy, and MB monkey will be testing the engine mounts for a few weeks, and then I'll make up a batch in the CNC.

Fin, I think it is 1.508". You'll really need to measure it to guarantee success.

I've got a 24" vernier caliper here at the shop. Since it's large I can easily get some photos. I'll try to put up a "How to" this evening.

Jim

myke

Mar 23, 2009
Chicago
I picked up a drum brake hub for $25 at a local bike shop and had it laced onto my wheel with a heavy duty spoke. It has nice stopping power and is quiet. I think the front hub I used is made by Sturmey Archer