The Puerto Rican Build, My First, Pictures

GoldenMotor.com

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I really like those green tires (tyres) you've got!! You'll also really like that chain tensioner you've installed!

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
Yeah thanx guys.

No major hang-ups during the build.
Only thing that held me up for a few minutes was threading the chain through and around the motor sprocket. Solved that by just using a vice grip at the right width to turn the sprocket with the cover off.

The TurboBuick Chain Tensioner worked right off no issues at all.

Exhaust pipe cleared everything and didn't need bending which was a concern because I have no vice here.

I ended up choosing this bicycle because they had no Beach Cruisers at that particular Walmart. I had checked KMart a day or two prior and they wanted $157 for a really cheap looking Beach Cruiser. I got this one for about $145 including tax. If you ask me this bike looks more like at least a $200-$300 range bicycle and it looks to me to be the perfect bike messenger with it's reversible rear wheel having a direct drive sprocket on the left side which I had to remove (no issues, came right off using a vice grip) in order to fit the motor kit sprocket to the wheel. I think because the roadbike tires/wheels are rather thin the ride is a bit rougher that it would be with wider Beach Cruiser tires which is a bit more of an issue down here on these Puerto Rican roads, many of which can be pretty old and rough.

I removed the rear brake because there really was not enough handlebar space to fit both levers on the left side. Braking is a bit weak and squeaky I believe due to being new brake pads as they slowly break in and seat themselves.

Unfortunately the first hill I attempted in the neighborhood it failed partial way up so I know I have to develop a bike on the next build with some engine performance parts and maybe a shift kit. My goal for next year's build will be to get up most hills and go a bit faster to keep up with traffic though this is surprisingly fast. I brought smaller rear sprockets but choose not to install one so I don't lose that lower speed torque.

The American RoadWarrior .wee.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Nice clean build, well done, especially for a first build!

He are couple of tips to make your next build easier and this a bit better.
Only thing that held me up for a few minutes was threading the chain through and around the motor sprocket. Solved that by just using a vice grip at the right width to turn the sprocket with the cover off.
Your kit included spark plug wrench will turn the nut on your output sprocket.
To make threading the chain easy:
1. pull the spark plug to relieve compression.
2. use the same wrench to turn the sprocket nut clockwise and feed your chain in from the bottom. Going counter-clockwise could loosen the nut.
3. run the chain out the top all the way to your back sprocket 1/2 way down the back, put the other end on the sprocket to make it easy to get the right chain length and put the master link on.
the perfect bike with it's reversible rear wheel having a direct drive sprocket on the left side which I had to remove
ouch, a '10 speed' bike with no pedal gears?
You might be able to climb the hills with the right pedal gearing to help the engine.
You could put a tooth or two larger pedal side rear sprocket on, that will give you more low end pedal torque right where you need it, for starting and going slow up hill.
I removed the rear brake because there really was not enough handlebar space to fit both levers on the left side.
Braking is a bit weak and squeaky.
I implore you to please buy a self adjusting dual pull brake lever for $10.50 to replace your single pull and put your back brake back on!
http://www.sickbikeparts.com/catalo...ducts_id=41&osCsid=7il4bvtko24i4b5j9a8bo0stj2

What goes up must come down, and riding a motorized bike back down a beat up roadway hill you couldn't ride up with only one weak squeaky brake is a serious wreck just waiting to happen.

Just trust me, rather all of us here on this...
No motorized bicycle should be operated without both front and rear brakes.

Again nice clean build and I look forward to seeing what you do for a more 'rider friendly' comfortable beach cruiser bike in the future.

AmericanRoadwarrior

Nov 28, 2013
Boston, MA USA
I had ridden the bike a few times when I first built it and got a little discouraged not getting up a hill so I parked it for a few days. Then yesterday I gave it another shot and was thrilled to find that with just a little pedal power I was "OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY" (Led Zeppelin reference).

It was indeed a clean build and the chain runs clean and smooth being straight as an arrow along with it's TurboBuick Tensioner.

Unfortunately the GoPro video I tried to make yesterday with my GoPro HD Naked didn't go so well as the camera seams to have been "shaken to death" lol. Oh well, I know GoPro has excellent customer service and the camera is in perfect cosmetic condition so hopefully it will qualify as a free warranty fix.

I still have two GoPro Original Cameras and will try making more videos today with one strapped to my chest.

I'm very thrilled to come to find that I WILL be able to explore here now not being limited by hills. Just a little adjustment period to using the pedals when necessary as apposed to the 10's of thousands of miles I've racked up on my motorcycles. brnot

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Nice bike, - I love those green tyres :D

I'm going to add my voice to the advice about putting your rear brake back on. On rough hilly roads a good set of brakes are absolutely essential and you don't want to either end up falling off and losing skin or taking a sudden flight off a road without a guardrail.

jonnyp929

Apr 15, 2013
New York City
looks nice man. you could have adjusted the chain so it doesn't need a tensioner at all. I remember when you were looking for a kit. was it the one that you had to assemble the piston or another seller

fatboybike

May 8, 2014
Missouri
Hey Americanroadwarrior Been chatting with you over at Youtube LOL anyway, I have found this bike to be an excellent hill climber. Of course, I think I got lucky this time on the motor too LOL. Not to mention I am about 300lbs too.