She Just Ain't Climbing Like She Used To - Standard China Girl Motor 66cc

GoldenMotor.com

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
Re: She Just Ain't Climbing Like She Used To - Standard China Girl 66cc

BRO,That's a GREAT road for a motorized ride. I wish I had one like that around here.
As far as your pipe goes, That's how I run all my bikes. If you've ever cut one apart you'll see that, way up near where the pipe is welded together, there's also another "Honeycomb" baffle. (pic. 1) This also gets plugged a little, which in this case is a good thing. It plugs just enough to give the engine the little back pressure it needs. I'm a firm believer in combustion chambers, but I'm poor folk and those things are pricey for good ones. With a few years of experimentation I've found that a chopped stock exhaust and sometimes a little carb tuning, (jetting,) works great with these little girls from China. But your bike sounds great as it is. A combustion chamber is usually also a little loud. So if the cops in your area don't mind the noise, and YOU don't mind the noise, I'd leave it as is. Just keep a close eye on your plug to make sure it burning right. Black oiley plug, smaller jet. White ashey plug, bigger jet. Tan or brown plug, Just right. (And jets are a lot less expensive than expansion chambers.) The pipe on my bike now is an old beat up one that still works too good to NOT use.
fatdaddy.

Attachments

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei

Hey fatdaddy --

Thanks for the excellent feedback! Especially the photos. That's one nice looking ride you have! That makes sense that there is likely another honeycomb at the top.

I cut off the "stinger" tube from the cap and tried it. A very small improvement. So I rode the rest of the day with the cap off. There aren't many cops in the hills and when I'm in the city environments I usually do a lot of bicycling. But yesterday when I was going up the hills I passed a couple who were walking and the lady covered her road-facing ear with her hand and that kinda bummed me out. I don't want to disturb people.

BRO,That's a GREAT road for a motorized ride. I wish I had one like that around here.
There are many roads like that in the near-by hills. Twenty years I used to explore them all on a motorcycle. But I gave up motorcycles...the public transportation and walking is all I need. But the China Girl has allowed me to go back up there...and it's really nice and cool up on high while it swelters below.

I know all about tight budgets...not sure when I'll be ordering a SBP pipe. In the meantime I'll make due with the cap off. Was thinking yesterday about drilling a hole or two in the cap. But I'm reluctant because it may make it just as noisy as without the cap. lol

I'll be pulling the plug today and see what we see.

brnot
Motor safe,
Russ

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei

Today I drilled out two 11mm holes in the muffler cap. I also bought some very short shank bolts with lock washers and nuts for those holes.

First test was the two holes open. Loud. A little less loud than with the cap completely off. Second test, one hole closed. Ah. That's about it! A little louder than no hole at all. But OK. Good response twisting the throttle. Good sound.

So now I have 4 power choices. lol

2 holes closed. 1 hole open. 2 holes open. Cap removed.

For me the one hole has basically solved my problem. I still want the SBP pipe...but not as urgent as it was a week ago.

I don't recommend anyone drilling holes in your muffler system unless you really know your motor and what you're doing. Even as much as I know about my motor I was still taking a chance by drilling holes. Turns out I'm good!

My regular ride up to Yang Ming Shan required a few sections where I had to pedal. That's just fine. That's where I want it to be.

brnot
Motor safe,
Russ

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Right On Russ, Glad it worked out for you. I try to get off the throttle or slow down a little when passing old folks. Wait a minute, I AM a "old folk". Anyway, That would be hard to do while going UPhill.
Anything else we can help ya with just "click and ask".
fatdaddy.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Im also glad to hear you have problem solved happy safe riding always.
Peace, Map