occ chopper build up

GoldenMotor.com

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Hey all. Going to start my occ chopper build up. I think I have all the parts. Both motors are ripped apart need some new bearings and I will be putting that back together tomorrow.

Going to do the red one first so I can learn on that and then do the black one.

Other than taking the motors apart I de-stickered the black and what I could on the red one. Ordered all the parts. Need to do some painting and hang the tank today. I had a pic of the mounting of the tank. I take it just drill and rivet it in there. I am going to add a little jb weld to help hold it.

As far as the idler I have to put on. I am going to see if I can go without an idler but if I cant should it be up and over the brake, under the frame and brake or, like I said I want to try with no idler at first. And if I do will I have to without a doubt cut my brake pad and fender. I dont care to cut either. Or should I put the idler on the pedal side. Which I like because I read that it will cut down on noise.

What would you recommend. Anything you can add that will help this go smoothly. I cant add anything more because I haven't gotten to it yet.

I wont be using the stock idler I bought the toothed idler and bar stock to make something. Or at least I know I wont be using the plastic roller. Might use the mount. I am leaning towards up and over the brake or the pedal side.

Today I hope to get the mounts installed for the tank, motor mount instaled and some paint work done. tomorrow put the motor back together install it and what else I can think of till I have the rest of my parts in.

Last edited:

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Well first thing I want to ask.

The rubber stop on the front of the bike that stops the handle bars from hitting the frame which will now hit my tank. I thought I had seen a bigger version of that somewhere that you could order. Does anybody know where that was I had seen that. Or will I have to make something so the handle bars dont hit my tank.

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
I have built a lot of OCC Schwinns... I usually make sure the tank is just far enough back so it does not hit the fork. since you already have it installed... You might want to put some of that edging that people put on their car doors around the edge of the tank [rubberized trim ] and crazy glue it to the seam on the gas tank = actually looks nice or ... wrap and tape some rubber strips or pieces on fork where it is hitting... sometimes when i do stuff like that i use extra rubber pieces from bicycle headlight kits etc. then i wrap with black or colored electrical tape and cut edges cleanly.

Jim / PedalChopper.com
OCC Schwinn Headquarters

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
I seen some where that had that bumper. I did get the chrome trim the other day it makes the black gas tanks look sweet. Going to put it on the chrome tank to.

Pics of the bikes before hand.

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Was busy today had a little bit of a late start but got a lot done had a little help. Got the engine mount drilled and painted, tank is mounted, painted the exhaust and engine. Sprocket is painted and on.

I highly recommend getting a new sprocket it is a lot nicer than the ones that came in the kit and with the adapter it is a no brainer.

Hopefully I get the engine put back together and get it installed tomorrow. And the rest of my parts arrive.

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
The bicycle store just called and said they cant true up my back tires because it doesnt fit in the truing stand. He left a message saying that the spoke dont really true the wheel and that it is just manufactured like that. Or whatever he said. I assume he doesnt know what he is doing.

So I take it I am on my own to get the rear wheels trued up.

gutter_rider

Jul 16, 2012
Orange, CA
i had the same problem with my rear wheel. the mechanic at my shop had me bring in the bike and he trued the wheel with the brakes. A LOT OF WORK. my rear rim is 4" wide so it was really hard for him to true. good luck. I only had to pay $5 for the truing but i gave a good tip to the mechanic. It is possible to true the rear wheels. sounds like your mechanic was just lazy.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Well first thing I want to ask.

The rubber stop on the front of the bike that stops the handle bars from hitting the frame which will now hit my tank. I thought I had seen a bigger version of that somewhere that you could order. Does anybody know where that was I had seen that. Or will I have to make something so the handle bars dont hit my tank.
here's what i did on mine to keep the hand;ebars from hitting the gas tank.
first off, i am not using the kit supplied gas tank on my occ.
I'm using a gas tank off of a west coast chopper bike, that i made functional.
either way, the bars would hit the gas tank when the forks were turned all the way.
My occ is an older version and it doesn;t have the rubber stoppers.
Mine just has 2 allen bolts in the bottom triple tree, and the head of these allen bolts bumps up against flat peices of steel on the lower frame tube.
so i took a peice of metal mount for the rag joint sprocket (one of the "C" shaped peices).
I cut one of them in 1/2 aqnd used a half on each side of the lower triple tree, and bolted them in place using the original allen bolts that were screwed into the triple tree.
these now bump up against the flat spots on the frame and keep the bars from hitting the tank.

this is the perice of "C" metal from the rag joint mount, cut in half (i have one of these per side)

this is the flat spot on the frame where the new part hits. Before, the bolt that you see holding the new peice on would hit the flat spot on the frame causing the bars to go way too far.

here it is with the bars turned all the way. I reduced the turning distance by about 1/2 inch.

Last edited:

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
thanks for the post. Mine doesnt have those holes on the tree.

Tried to mount the tensioner yesterday. Couldnt get it were I wanted it so I have to mount it under the frame till I can get some proper chain breaking tools.

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Got it running last friday. What a pain to build. You fix one thing then its another. Im thinking of getting the whole bike dipped in locktite.

pedalchopper

May 9, 2010
Ft Myers beach Florida
Love the OCC chopper fans! These OCC frames scream! motorize me!

Check out my last build "Black Widow" graphics and current build [BIG BLACK]

using a 24 inch rear wheel and bent seat post - apee's etc...

Jim / PedalChopper.com.trk

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
I have a space between the motor and front mount. I had put in a couple strips of rubber thinking it would help with vibration and fill the gap but it is already riding up on me. And I dont think any piece of rubber is going to do any good with the vibration on this thing.

Whats is a good fix for this? I was thinking about getting a piece of pvc pipe and use that but still trying to think of something better. Maybe keep an eye out for the right Id and OD size hose? The back mount with one piece of rubber hasnt moved.

I think the rubber I have in moved because it is two separate strips. I had put one piece between the plates on the motor mount put took it out because it made the motor move. I think I will try the hose and run it all the way down to the plate and if that rides up I can put a hose clamp on it to try to keep it from riding up. Or jb it I fixed my grips with that stuff.

Last edited:

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Got the cdi mounted where I want it. Stuffed the electrical ends in the mount tube and sealed it. Need to tack the motor mount in place then I will jb the hose underneath to hide it better.

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Got my tensioner welded in along with my motor mounts and seat post stiffener. And shortly afterwards found out you dont want to hit a bump going fast on this bike because it will throw you up off the seat.

Last edited:

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Fouled out my first plug last night and had to ride it a few blocks home. Got it running today and took it over to a friends house and the first person to ride it took off and bent my seat post to just about touching the fender. Knocked off my new tail light and the exhaust gasket had blown out. I just about got to ride it for one day without anything going wrong so far anyways.

Bernie

Jun 19, 2012
earth
Been riding it the past couple of days. Got it all done just have to finish mounting my front handle bar stops. Might start looking at an air ride system for it.