Schwinn OCC Chopper! Badass!

GoldenMotor.com

spencerearl1996

May 22, 2012
Memphis,TN
Well guys got the chopper in. Rides great! Except I had a fuel leak on the tank from one of the studs bending and breaking the weld so it leaked bad no problem though I had a spare tank. Everything is in place with the new spark plug and new air filter as for the expansion chamber I wanna do some modification to make it fit better once I do that it should help some but for now I am sticking with the stock pipe. Only thing to install now is the Dax RT High Performance Carb and the SBP Expansion chamber along with the front disc brake then I'm done. As it stands now I top out at about 40 mph and thats not even full throttle or anywhere near redline I'd say about 4500-5000 rpm so after break in and the last few performance mods it should do close to 50 mph top end with ease although I will hardly ever do that but a nice enjoyable cruising speed of 30 mph is easily achievable. It's a little sluggish on off the line acceleration but that should improve some with the aftermarket carb and the expansion chamber. Thoughts so far is that this thing is just awesome looking and a blast to ride especially the looks I get from people. I love it! Video will be up soon of me riding it and a run down of the bike.

Last edited:

Prmskpr2

Jun 8, 2012
Illinois
Do you have any pics? I have a OCC that I would like to do a build on. I have done other builds but welcome any advise.
Thanks

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
ok, so lets see...you have about $600.00 in buying this bike.
you had to replace the gas tank already.
you're adding an expansion chamber and other stuff.
how much will you have in it by the time you're done?
the problem i have is that it looks like every other occ bke out there.
no originality, nothing custom made....Just bolted together.
I have $300.00 in my occ and i gurantee you that it's the only one that looks like it does.
Granted, I have the skills to do custom paint, build my own parts & stuff like that.

sure, with a 32 tooth sprocket you'll get good top speed, but your take off sucks.
who wants to peddle up to 12 mph before you can even take off?
I sure don't.
Mine has a 41 tooth sprocket and i can take off from a dead stop like a motorcycle, and my top speed is right around 32 mph (which is plenty fast on these terrible handing things).

sorry but this is just my opinion and it probably doesn't mean very much.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
lol dragray, opinions are better noted when not discouraging. :) And is a build ever really "done"? :p Ever price a Boxer with a Morini? Can buy all kinds of motorcycles with $3k, but the point of this hobby/obsession is to ride what you build. Whether its a yard-sale $10 bike with a $20 used engine kludged together, or a mega-buck racer $_$

With those little 20" tires his 32t will get him up to 26" performance and mileage. The go-go goodies'll help exceed that, and smoke any stock bikes that happen to want to race, heh heh. Cruising at a good clip and lower rpm sure beats winding an engine out just to do 20mph eh.

Just because top speed is X, doesn't mean tearing around at X speed all the time. That's like thinking "Oh, my car'll do 150mph so I'll go that speed all the time"

To each their own.

Yea Spencer, how about a couple of pics? :)

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Well, I wasn't trying to be discouraging, I was just stating my opinion...everybody has one right?
His riding style may benefit from the smaller sprocket, but in my opinion, peddling to rake off from a stop with an engine isn't how I like to ride. I personally putt-putt around at car shows at 5mph or less. I like to be able to take off from a stop without peddling, but I know that I can get my bike up to 32 mph with the 41 tooth sprocket.

I like to cruise slow and I know that I can get my chopper up to 30-32 mph if I want to.
I'm just saying that he has a ton of money wrapped up in his bike ( which is fine)
But I personally can not see paying someone to do all the work and then have to put more money into it and do more work to it.
I'd much rather do the work myself and have a unique bike than to have a cookie cutter bike that anyone can bolt together.
again he hasn't done anything wrong, this is just my opinion.

I cam Ser 2 possible things happening here.
The bike will never get up to his expected speed of 50 mph & he'll get mad about it.
or, the bike will get up to 50mph, and he'll end up crashing due to the poor handling that these choppers have at anything over 25 mph.
on top of that, wheel bearings on these choppers are known to explode and lock up the rear wheel at prolonged speeds over 30 mph.
again, just my opinions...don't want to see engine get hurt.

Last edited: