Slipping Clutch

GoldenMotor.com

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
My clutch on my 66 is slipping. I have taken off the clutch cover and tightened the flower nut and that has done nothing. I have been trying to fix this for days now looked all over on this forum and have found nothing. Anyone had this problem and tightening the flower nut never worked for you, what did you do to fix?

Thanks for the help!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Did you lube the gears on the right side of your engine? Often people over lubricate them and the excess grease gets onto the clutch pads. You can try cleaning them with automotive brake cleaner, usually sold in aerosol cans at the auto parts store.

The gears only require a very small dab of grease. Anything more and you can have the problem you describe.

Your clutch cable isn't too tight, is it?

Tom

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
Im am located about 60 miles south of St Louis. I checked and cleaned the pads, the next step I was going for is to switch the pads out of my other motor. If somone could help would be awesome, the cable length is good and I may need to ad more grease Il try that.

Aug 2, 2011
San Diego, Califronia
clean it with rubbing alcohol.

Follow these steps:

1. engage clutch

2. Push the clutch plate against the pads and tighten the flower nut. Then turn it 2 more notches.

3. Put the screw back in the hole and fire it up. If it is still slipping, you may want to buy new pads

let us know what happens .shft.

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
Im going to switch the pads, to see if that works, thing is the motor has only 50 miles on it so could they be bad already? I did have chain lock up and then this started.

jtgolden

May 31, 2011
United States
Alright guys I finally figured it out, I wasnt pulling the clutch in when I tightened the flower nut. After pulling it in I could get the nut tighter. This is worked for me.

Thanks for your help guys and gals