hello from West Babylon, NY

GoldenMotor.com

omf1951

Jun 27, 2008
I don't know if I'm in the right place for this but, I'm 56y/o man living in West Babylon, NY.
Paying high fuel prices made me crazy enough to purchase a, do-it-yourself, motorized bicycle kit. When I checked the DMV to see if it was legal in NY, I didnt look far enough into it and only saw (what I wanted to see) the moped classifications, and went ahead and ordered the kit. Delivery took 4 weeks for the entire kit to arrive in about 3 stages. As each piece arrived I got more excited. I decided to redo my research and realized my mistake. Motorized bicycles can be registered, insured, inspected,and properly outfitted with lights etc. but can NOT be driven on any street, sidewalk, shoulder, bike path, park, nor any public place in the state of NY.
My questions are;
Is anyone here from Long Island, NY?
Where do you ride?

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Re: please read these simple rules

Welcome to the forum. I moved this to the introduce yourself section. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. I think there are some NY folks here that can answer your questions. Glad you joined us...........................

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Re: please read these simple rules

It's interesting to me that they can license, inspect, mandate motorcycle equippment, and charge for license and in every way treat you like this is a motor vehicle.....and then say you can't operate it. If they had in mind not allowing anyone to opereate one of these they should have laws mandating these kits cannot be shipped to New York or at least not put owners thru all the phases of getting road ready including selling them license plates.

I'd say it's time to write a nice long letter to the editor of the New York Times
explaining the recent boom in people turning to Mopeds & bicycles with helper motor kits installed on them because of the high fuel cost and the bike can approach 200 mpg. That ought to get some letters to the editor and to the politicians. You could ask for bicycle routes into the city for motorized bicycles and mention the Schwinn eBike in your correspondence. (just to stirr something up)

Somehow this reminds me of Dorthy, The Scarecrow, & Tin Man trying to get an audience with the WIZARD of OZ. (and the bueraucratic run around they got for their effort) Perhaps it would be easier to hire a flying monkey to
tow you along by his tail ?? (but they're probably busy working as Lobbyist)

btf331

Dec 2, 2008
NY
Hi iam from Long Island New York i bought my moped from Hepsted Harley and its legal but i havnt reinsured my bike or payed registration fee. No cops seem to bother me iam 17 and here in Hewlett there not ball busters. Been cought on my other toys like my dirtbikes and atvs.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Hi OMF, welcome. There are a few folks from the Island here and I am sure one can advise you. NY is funny about MBs. To my knowledge, the only state where it is just not legal. But there are MB manufactures in the city. So, I dunno. I am in no way advising you to break the law but I have yet to meet a peace officer that knew the law concerning MBs or cared to stop me any way. I used to regularly ride around Poughkeepsie. But was not fun worrying they would. This has come up so often. How about joining forces with other NY MBers and looking into a Petition Spot - start free online petitions at petition spot

Here is a link from here to others discussing NY law. http://motorbicycling.com/f17/new-york-laws-1474.html

I am just north of you in CT, but will be working on the water this summer and may be able to help get some signatures. The time is right with fuel prices and traffic congestion.

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
welcome to the forum, Im a little east of you on the island, my wife and i and the rest of the fam have been riding motorized bikes a few years now and have never run into a problem with the law,BUT in reality it is a no no!
Its just to much fun and makes to much sense to just give up! Stay on this forum and youll see why, any help we can give you all it takes is a shout.
And Dan, i havent been on in a week been going a little wacky with work, should be settling down now though, thanks for asking, ill head over to the tavern.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
welcome to the forum, Im a little east of you on the island, my wife and i and the rest of the fam have been riding motorized bikes a few years now and have never run into a problem with the law,BUT in reality it is a no no!
Its just to much fun and makes to much sense to just give up! Stay on this forum and youll see why, any help we can give you all it takes is a shout.
And Dan, i havent been on in a week been going a little wacky with work, should be settling down now though, thanks for asking, ill head over to the tavern.

Good to see you Joe!