spark plug change

GoldenMotor.com

snobord28

Jun 2, 2010
Bakersfield
hey I know alot of you out there have changed your spark plug and wire, does it make that much of a difference? what works best? and how is it done? thanks for any help on the subject

zpt

pwrobleski

Jul 9, 2009
Florida
hey I know alot of you out there have changed your spark plug and wire, does it make that much of a difference? what works best? and how is it done? thanks for any help on the subject

zpt
I thought I was having electrical problems so I changed mine. My speedo kept reseting, replaced it twice thinking it was defective. I got a NGK BPR6HIX iridium from Discount Auto for 7.99. But be careful because of a clearance problem on some motors because the iridium plug is a little longer. the 49cc are more prone to this but still can happen to a 66cc i think. This is just what I have read on here about the plug. I also took the advice from a fellow mb'er to solder my plug in connectors. Then went to a place locally and bought a better piece of insulated wire and a new water proof cap, which they use on dirtbikes. My motor seems to rev better but I'm still breaking in my motor. It also eliminated my speedo problem. I hope this helps you a little, I'm still learning alot myself with this new hobby. Good luck.flg.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Much has been written here regarding spark plugs. Try the search feature for all the reading you want on the subject. Generally speaking most members will agree that the kit supplied Chinese plugs can be a source of trouble. Most of us replace it with the NGK brand, specifically the B6HS plug. There is also a lot of disagreement about the plug wire. A wire with a metal conductor, preferably copper is considered by many to be superior to the resistance wire sold by most auto parts stores today. There are a couple of resistance wires that will conduct electricity as well, maybe even better than the standard metallic core wire but you'll need to do some reading on that and make your own decision. As for the plug boot, the plastic kit one is not the best choice and should be replaced with a good automotive type that doesn't require removal of the threaded cap on the top of the plug and has more contact surface inside. The plug wire simply screws into the CDI (ignition module) and the kit boot. Unscrew it like you would anything. Lefty-loosie, righty-tighty. I'm one who solders my wire at the plug boot instead of relying on a crimp-on connection. Hope this helps a little.
Tom