build off (spring)

GoldenMotor.com

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Would anybody like to get into another build off soon? if the moderators aprove it would be cool to get like a 5 man build off posibly even team up if anybody lives close or has a buddy. I think it would be cool and get a lil bit of excitement and competition. I think it should be a ground up build with welders and power tools so lets see what happens .weld

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i gotta move out in april (roomate's wife is pregnant, and due in july) so i'll probably have to sit this one out again, unless i get a shop set up at my new place. if so, watch out!

also, i think i might wait to build another until after the one i'm working on now sells. i need money for rent, not tied up in bikes.

but i guess i could always build more bikes. if i have four, i could use them for walls and move under the freeway onramp...

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
fellas, i hope you guys are building somethin that doesnt look chinee, workin on the chopper now, so bring it. one man team here, and im makin it kustom, count me in....

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
ok so i was thinking about it and some rules and i only have 3 1 80 cc 2 must be chopped 3 and i need atleast 3 mos and anything else goes

tommyboy1442

Nov 25, 2009
chicago
ill have to disagree with taco, this is a bike contest, not a day at the races, any engine size will do, as long as it has an engine. chopped, well youd be telling me how to build my bike if it has to be chopped, and that dont fly with me. yes chopped is bad to the bone, but that is contradicting a builders style. i say it just cant be a stock bike with motor, it must have something special or standing outta ordinary. i say if it at least has custom paint,but otherwise stock thats kool. the three months is a little long, but in these slow economic times, that seems like a fair deadline....

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Here's my 2 cents... I would like this to happen a little faster than last time, like only 2 months instead of 3. (The last contest just dragged out way too long)
I think we should enforce the same rules as last time... like 'custom tank, custom frame & custom paint'... No stock (uncut) frames with stock kit tanks, no exceptions!!!

Retmachinist

Oct 21, 2008
Urbandale Ia
I think I will pass on this one. I have eight finished bikes of my own right now. That is enough to last me until next winter when I will start building with some new ideas.

John

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i can't get an 80cc engine, anyways. all mine are around 66.

by taco's rules, this sounds like a chopper/lowrider build-off, and that just ain't my thing.

now if there was an ol'-timey motorsickle build off... wait, i'm already in that...the rustoration build.

whatevs, youse guys have fun. i got fenders to build for my new bike...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Just a thought, the desire for multiple teams with at least two people each may be awkward with the proposed rule allowing only heavily modified frames & tanks. Not only are there participation issues regarding that many people working "together" but you could be narrowing down the field further by necessitating welding equipment, the skill to use it, and the willingness to chop up a bike. Throw in the proposed time limit and you're left with precious few people meeting the criteria.

If you really want lots of people in on this - chuck the "teamwork" idea as it's... cumbersome given the forum environment and perhaps allow unmodified frames - even just requiring paint & modded engines? While choppers are ofc ossum - few people make them themselves, this in part was a reason for the last build off's fewer participants.

So - my thought was (if numbers of contestants & time are the priorities) given the brouhaha of late regarding heavily modded engines - focus the build off around that, with secondary focus on appearance, custom paint & accessories etc. This goes well with the fact that we did just have a chopper build off and a vintage build off... it seems only natural to have an engine build off next.

Bikes could be judged by both appearance and confirmed speed (vid of chase car's speedo) - this way even a marginally slower bike could still win with the extra attention to detailing (there's too many variables to judge by speed alone). The vid of a confirmed top speed would clearly narrow down the bikes to the top three placements, a poll on appearance would dictate the winner - anyone unable or unwilling to provide substation of speed claims would be disqualified.

This is just a suggestion BTW, it's yer game - I jus' thought it'd not only be able to involve far more people as everyone loves to mod engines - but it'd be a great "proving ground" for those modifications as well as providing a build off we've not had yet *shrug*

Last edited: