Next LaJolla, Will it work?

GoldenMotor.com

Bobert

Aug 6, 2009
Ponca City, Oklahoma
I just recently bought this Next LaJolla from Wally World at a pretty reasonable price. I got it on sale for less than $60.00 out the door. Brand new and still in the box, but that's not my deal. I'm planning on getting the grubee 80 skyhawk and I was wondering If it would fit on my frame. I'd like to be able to do it without any cutting, granted if I have to it'll be ok. I also know how to weld Aluminum, so that's not an issue either. I'm wondering if it would just fit up with some drilling and whatnot. So if anyone knows or has an Idea I would love to hear back from ya!

Bobert, that's Bob with an ert!

I will have pictures up soon, just have to resize them to fit.

Bobert

Aug 6, 2009
Ponca City, Oklahoma
Thanks for replying and thank you for the welcome! I did do some measuring and I do fit within the tolerances. Barely but I do have the right clearances, but It does look a little small because of the lower bar, but if I do need to cut and/or weld I can do that without a problem. I just wanted to be able to fit up without many modifications to the frame it's self. Either way here are some pictures of the bike. It does have right at 11.5 inches from top to the crank if that helps. I have a 6.5 inch clearance between the crank arms. So any other feed back, on if the bike is any good, if anyone has motorized it yet or anything at all. I'm new to this so any feed back will help alot!

Attachments

Bobert

Aug 6, 2009
Ponca City, Oklahoma
I checked that link and the frame does look to be about the same as mine. He was able to get the motor on with some southern engineering, which is fine. Makes it alot easier to do what I need done. It will be a tight fit and I will have to modify the intake a bit, which will be interesting. I've decided that I will continue and see how things go. I do plan on keeping you updated and with many pictures along the way. As for this, What are your ideas/thoughts on the Grubee Skyhawk 66/80 cc kit? And moving on with that motor if it's what I do get, I plan on getting an aftermarket carb from dellorto. Do you know what size or model would be a good one to choose from for said motor? I am going to be porting the intake and exhaust along with using a performance exhaust pipe. Will be redoing all gaskets and replacing the spark plug, boot, and wire all electrical and ect... Any other ideas on other modifications to be done? The carb is a big one for me, because I'm torn between the CNS on spooky tooth and a Dellorto carb, which are similarly priced. so any thoughts are great!

noobtard

Apr 25, 2009
PA
Well, Good Luck if you attempt it.
I wouldn't even try it at all without a slant head...
plan on a custom intake. and you will need to grind the front of the motor down a bit..(I didn't take any pictures of that sadly..) if you don't grind it.. you will have broken engine studs. as the engine wants to go side to side too much.

at least you don't have the rear spring/mess...
also, my muffler is slowly grinding a hole in my frame..

Fun stuff these "Next" bikes...

I'd recommend a slant head from zoom bicycles.. the kit comes with the longer studs for the front..
(the 15+ day shipping is no fun though.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Bobert

Aug 6, 2009
Ponca City, Oklahoma
Thank you for the support, it’s nice to know I'm not the only one that's tried this ha-ha! I was planning on a slanted head from the beginning for the increased compression, but with further investigation it does seem to be an inevitability. I do thank you though for recommending the use of a slanted head.

The intake also seems to be a really big problem with clearance issues, I agree with you on a different position. I’d like to get an intake that allows the carburetor to face forwards. One that has minimal bends, is the right diameter, and won’t restrict fuel and air flow.

My next issue is working on a way to connect the motor to the rear hub without using the included hardware. I have found several solutions I’m just not sure which would be the best; The HD axle kit, or the clamshell design. The both have pros and cons, being mostly the price. I like the axle because it can be purchased with a HD rim already laced up, or by it’s self. The clamshell is cheaper and is easier to install, just put it on your existing hub and go. Neither puts stress on half the spokes, in turn they spread the stress over all the spokes.

I have decided to go with the Grubee 66/80 cc Engine kit for my build. One of the main reasons is the availability of performance parts, and accessories made for these engines. I also like that they are highly reviewed and recommended.

I’m also working on developing a fully functional low weight, and reasonably priced 12 volt DC electrical system. I like a 12 volt system over a 6 volt system because parts are cheaper, widely available, and practical. I think that if this is my daily ride, I’d like to charge my cell phone/laptop, and still be to power my lighting and other electronics. It will be a while before I get into working on it, but I am going to keep it updated.

So in about 2 weeks I will be ordering my kit and other parts to get started so bear with me on my progress! I love to do a lot of research before I buy something, minus the bike. I got it because it was over half off ha-ha. I really thank the help from everyone and I enjoy this hobby already!