Too much choke?

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
After browsing through the threads throughout the site I came across one all about how to assemble a carburetor.

.....then realized that I've been riding my bike the past few days entirely with the choke wide open. Thought never even crossed my mind since the bike has been performing well (or so I think).

Did I do any harm? And, what difference am I going to notice after I put the choke in. I would try it myself right now but it's 1am and I don't want to wake the neighbors!:ride2:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Choke on or "closed"- lever "UP".
Choke off or "open"- lever "DOWN".

Throttle open- slide in "up" position.
Throttle closed- Slide in "down" position.

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
starting is the ONE thing I've NOT had any trouble with on my motor bike
I can roll down my driveway into the street and pop the clutch, even when it's the first time that day to get started, my bike fires right up.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If it's 45 degrees F and you can start the bike with no choke, I will bet you are running very rich. Have a look at the plug, and if need be, move the clip up one notch.

old motorbike

Sep 21, 2008
Fl.
Mine won't start up cold even here in S. Fl. without the choke closed. (usually 80 degrees). I used my old front de-railer control and cable. Fabbed it to the choke lever on the carb and with a return spring. I used a piece of copper tubing with a smaller piece soldered in the end, to hold the housing to the frame and direct it to the carb. Now I have a 3 position click de-railer to close the choke and gradually open it with 3 positions as the engine warms on the fly.:ride2:

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Four stroking is when the two stroke engine is so rich it chokes on it's own exhaust and intake mix and basicly fires every other revolution, like a four stroke.

It is the sound your engine SHOULD make when very lightly loaded. As soon as you begin to crack the throttle and load the engine, it then should break back into a clean two stroke "buzz", not a four stroke "staccatto". If your engine takes a few seconds to "clean out" when you open the throttle, you are just a little too rich. If it never quits four stroking, well, you will know it.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks, very descriptive! That's kinda the idea I got but I knew you would explain it well. Never heard that in the m/c world.(^)