kick stand

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Mac 18704

Jan 24, 2010
penna.
I've had it with kick stands. Doesn't ANYBODY sell a kick stand that actually works. I've spent a lot of money on junk stands. Most are made to hold up a bicycle but won't work with the weight of the motor and other gear. I've been through the center stand gammbit and the side stand theory, of which none of them work. The last center stand I bought just keeps bending when I put the bike up on stand from the weight. I've run out of options. Serious inquires only please. Thanks Bob Mac

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
I got my centerstand from Crow Cycle and love it. I have sat on the bike on the center stand and pedal started the bike in my garage, with no ill effect.

http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/kickstand

The only negative I have heard about these stands is that on the adjustable ones (like I got) that people have had the legs loosen up and get lost on a ride. I locktited mine, and so far have not loosened up at all.

This is the one I got for my Cranny, I think a lot of the guys get the tall version instead: http://www.crowcycleco.com/bicycle-components/kickstand/double-leg-kickstand-screw-adjust-black.html

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
I'm using my stock sidestand that came on my bike, and it works perfectly, with no problems.
it handles the weight of the bike and the engine just fine.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
I've adjusted and re-positioned mine a tad, for best effect.
A pad welded on the foot helps when parking on dirt. just a large flat washer
rc

Steel is btr than Al because Al might crack and give up at any time, or if over-tightened.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
I use to have the same problem but I found a little trick. I still use a standard style kickstand but now I just put the crank strait down on the kickstand side for the pedal to support it. You just have to find the right position for pedal when the coaster brake locks in to keep the stand from stretching out from the weight. Mine probably weights about the same, but yours looks a little top heavy compared to my setup. Its free and easy so its worth a shot.

flmotorbikes

Mar 23, 2012
Florida
the best kick stand is a custom one which can be made at your local bike shop. The might be ineveitably expensive but worth it for the long haul.

fx-2

Oct 7, 2011
Tucson Arizona
A buddy of mine built his own ,works great . He can start the bike on the stand it's heavy duty . Dan

Last edited:

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
My bike is not terribly heavy, as I only have a 2 smoker engine and dont have my bike loaded down with gear. However, here is what I did. I bought an adjustable kickstand at wallyworld or kmart, forget which. It wasn't long enough, so I hacked a section of aluminum off my luggage rack, drilled a hole through the end of the kickstand and a hole through the secton of aluminum that I cut off, put a bolt through it, and put loctite on it. the section of aluminum was bent, so my kickstand actually has a foot as well. been working fine for over a month, and I fully aniticipate it to hold my bike fine after my predator is installed. I am also gonna use that trick of positioning the pedal in front of the kickstand though. I lik that idea.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon
I use the cheap center stand but bought a 3 inch 3/8 hex nut and a few lock washers and bolt. Got it as tight as I could with just bolt then added washers and nut. I need the washers to squish up against the bottom where the bolt came out becasue there isnt enough room for the bolt to seat securely. I used red lock tight and it is tight and good to go. I also used gorilla super glue to hold the little rubber end pads on seems to be holding well.

turkman

Nov 12, 2009
burbank,ca
Ahh no Scottmo I copied a cheap aluminum china one the bent an wouldn't hold my bike . That kickstand is handmade by me with steel in my garage." theirs nothing you can say that can't be said , nothing you can make that can't be made".weld.weld.weld

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Ahh no Scottmo I copied a cheap aluminum china one the bent an wouldn't hold my bike . That kickstand is handmade by me with steel in my garage." theirs nothing you can say that can't be said , nothing you can make that can't be made".weld.weld.weld
My bad Turkman, Ive got a copy of your's that was on a Peugeot moped that I've yet to put to use. Nice job, it even looks a little beat up like mine.....mine is made of steel.

dnut

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Im looking for a good one myself that will lift the rear wheel enough to pedal start. Im going back and forth on a whizzer stand , but they are pricey. So what really works.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Im looking for a good one myself that will lift the rear wheel enough to pedal start. Im going back and forth on a whizzer stand , but they are pricey. So what really works.
The best centerstand that I've seen and use for the tandem is one I got from MotorbikeMike and I believe they can be found on eBay. It's made of 1/8" steel and has strong welds and a huge pivot bolt. It supports the weight fo the heavy tandem and can be sat on as well.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/200/img0270ku.jpg/]
[/URL]

It keeps the back tire off the ground.