dont know if i do it again

GoldenMotor.com

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
I just dont know if I have the heart to build another bike after the last one got stolen
see: http://motorbicycling.com/f41/another-stolen-bike-tucson-32566.html
i kind of built a Cadillac it had all the goodies on it and was really easy on the body.
theft maybe a form of flattery, it tells me i built a nice bike but ......
I think I am going to get a scooter something that has anti-theft stuff built in.

Question: if you could get the usual built ins as a kit ,steering head lock tied to ignition key,alarm,ing and fuel interrupter,etc. would you get it if price was reasonable??

the only thing I can think to do is , as they say if life gives you lemons make lemonade.

What do you think?????????
bmc_az

bmc_az

May 22, 2009
Tucson,Az
it was a Schwinn landmark with a HF 79cc and a AGK jack shaft kit.
keeping the bike locked with chain or cable is a pain especially when its sitting at home.
so what do you think about a security kit that locks with one key??

Last edited:

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
If u do use a chain, or cable lock, have it go thru both rims if its long enough. People will steal anything that is chained up. It only takes a few minutes to get wheels off. Even quicker if u have quick release.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man, BMC, that sucks. Aside from the loss of $, it's time and effort. Throw being violated on top of that, not fun and would make a really good person want to back hand some one.

Lots and lots of security stuff you can do. bicycle security - Google Search

Also, there is bicycle and moped insurance; moped insurance - Google Search For a high end build and peace of mind, could be well worth it.

Really am sorry to read that happened to you. Some folks really do need to be shot. I just never know who to draw a bead on. But am pretty sure thieves are a good place to start. Just at their feet and anchels. Make it hard for them to bravely run away with folks stuff who actually worked for it. (kneecaps for high end MBs like a Cadillac)

Hope ya do build another. There is no replacing some thing you built but if it brings ya as much joy, might be worth it.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
I bought 2 chopper bicycles at a yard sale with big plans to put a brigs and stratton washing machine engine on one. Put the bikes in the drive behind the car, next day the bikes were gone. Didn't even get to ride them. that gives you a sick feeling for sure but tomorrow is another day

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I can't help much with how you lock it down at other destinations, but when you're at home maybe you could find a place for it inside. Maybe there's a way. I keep mine in a locked shed behind a steel utility door with a deadbolt.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Only thing I could think of if your bike got stolen at home......have a ground anchor installed and use a Kyrptonite Fahgettaboudit chain and lock. Even then.....if a crook has enough time and cutter discs for his angle grinder-anything can be stolen.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is cool. An old Southern trick. Dig a hole, mix cement in it and put a piece of steel rod threw a link of chain at the bottom. Bury it back over with chain left above. Even if they dig up the chunk of cement, it's still chained to what ever. Ball and chain sort of deal

Acraze

May 13, 2011
Tuscaloosa
I'm still worring day it will happen to me. I have my bike outside behind a non running truck. I always lock it but I also have a nifty little vibration alarm hidden under the seat. I heard it go off the other morning and jumped to look out the window, it was only a bird and the alarm scared him away from pooping ony
Ride :)

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Only thing I could think of if your bike got stolen at home......have a ground anchor installed and use a Kyrptonite Fahgettaboudit chain and lock. Even then.....if a crook has enough time and cutter discs for his angle grinder-anything can be stolen.
You're not kidding. Let me give everybody something to think about. When I worked as contract security for a Pharmaceutical retailer in Cleveland, people were always trying to steal fixtures of various kinds during the night: our bolted-down park bench, the aluminum rails between doors, signs on posts, etc.

The topper came when the manager and I got to work one morning and...THERE...in the middle of our parking lot was the RC Cola machine. It had originally been bolted to the concrete next to the door then, because somebody was pulling up the bolts at night, we also used a MASSIVE logging chain in back with a honking huge circular padlock.

Some small gang of thieves had undone ALL the retaining bolts, cut the chain, and DDDRRRAAAGGGGGGGGED this behemoth for nearly seventy feet down the parking lot, leaving deep scrape marks in it, before finally giving up hope of being able to load it into whatever vehicle they might have had. So...they dropped it.

Do NOT underestimate the persistence of thieves!

Last edited:

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Tohri said:
Explosive device inside the seat, with a key for hard lockout. rig it to an accelerometer.
I immediately thought of a cars airbag for a seat, would be half cushy to ride on with a Gelcover, eh? Then hook it up to a $5 9v motion sensor relayed to a 12v capacitor(like what a modern camera flash uses)

laff

I've always wanted one of these:
Motion Sensing Alarm Padlock

U-Locks can be cumbersome... Would be good for at home u-locking to a 200lb chunk of buried concrete though, hahaha.

Edit(back on topic)- Oh yea, you should definitely build another, just be sure to at least lock it up at home!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Killer. I really like the ejection seat concept!

Got me thinking some sort of piercing device located a wee bit forward under the seat that stabs upward. Just forward of where one's buttocks sits on the seat and in the center.