Me introducing myself

GoldenMotor.com

TheFonz

Jul 19, 2011
Alameda, CA
Hi, names Billy, i'm form california, i bought a kit about a month ago, i installed it and now i'm having lots of problems.

First is that i stupidly listened to the manual that said 16:1 will an engine run on16:1? (I've read on the forum that you are supposed to use 24:1)

clutch is excessively hard to push in

I over torqued the bolts on the chain tensioner, so i got new bolts but i used nylon inserted nuts instead of the locknut nut combo is that okay?

When the clutch is all the way in and i'm trying to pedal there is all kinds of resistance and noise

I know next to nothing about two stroke engines so any advice is extremely helpful

:-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pedaling resistance/noise is not surprising. Yes, the clutch will disengae the rear wheel from the engine but there is still substantial drag from the chain and drive cross shaft of the engine and the undriven side of the clutch components. The only way to regain complete pedal bike 'feel' is to remove the drive chain. Not the easiest tasks and can be dirty but if you want to pedal with no resistance it's the only way.
Make sure your clutch is fully disengaged. You'll want to adjust your clutch cable so there is little to no slack in the cable with the handlebar lever in the 'unsqueezed' position.
Good luck.
Tom

TheFonz

Jul 19, 2011
Alameda, CA
Wow that is a huge relief for me, i thought there was something wrong with the clutch. I was getting scared reading about the serious lack of quality control on these chinese engines. Thanks 2door

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Welcome.. Being "Green" is no shame here.. (Pun Intended)

I too have had to learn to adjust the clutch and with the drive chain on peddling my bike is harder and takes more out of me but I am getting stronger at it anyway.
Drive chain off and I ride the bike with ease for sure but with the Giant Boulder it loves to coast so peddle, peddle, coast ....

Lets ee since I am rather Green myself on the 16 to one.. I believe that has roots in the petroleum based 2-stroke oils.
Now I ran break in 16 to one with Lucas semi synthetic for a gallon and I see oil leaking out of the expansion pipe at various points and dripping out the end. The Fibreglass has to be soaked now :)
The Engine did well at first but as it broke in it got Boggy so i took that as a sign that it was too much oil in the mix. Meaning it didn't seem to respond well and I figured that it was time to lighten up on the oil since I read 40 to one is possible and I have read about 50 to one and 100 to one oil.

Now I mixed a 24 to one in a 2 gallon can and I am running that but I plan to go thinner soon. Towards 40 to one to be honest but I am learning so I am experiencing things slowly.

I'm learning too and that is my experiences so far!