Leaking oil????? Please help!!

GoldenMotor.com

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Hi all
I have a 49cc silver engine
It seems to be leaking oil at the top gasket where spark plug is srewed into
I had a close look at it, the gasket seems to be warped..I tryed to tighten head bolts but they are very very tight already

So whats a cheap fix for this problem??????

Any comments more than welcome

Thanks in advance

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sounds like a failed head gasket matesrates, not that big a deal :)

You can order a new gasket from a vendor (cheap & easy) or make your own by tracing the old gasket on a sheet of thin aluminum or even copper (the same or slightly thinner than original, thinner increases compression). If you've kept on top of the head bolt torque (lol) then that's not the only problem - you may have a slightly warped head, also a pretty easy fix ;)

Before replacing your warped one I'd suggest you try a little home-brew machine work. Use a good flat surface, glass is good, lay down a sheet of 150 grit sandpaper and start rubbing the head on it. You'll be able to see where the high and low spots are immediately. Keep working until you have a uniform surface, concentrating on applying even pressure, then start with a finer grade of paper until you get down to about 200 to 400. You have then lapped the head and, unless the cylinder is also warped, your head gaskets should seal correctly. I'd also suggest sealing the head gasket with some brush on silver paint. The older the paint the better. There are head gasket sealers but I've never found one that worked any better than old, almost dried up, silver paint. Let us know how you make out. One more thing...if you have acorn nuts on the cylinder studs make sure thay are not bottoming out and not allowing the head to be tightened. I like to replace all acorn nuts with hex, just to be sure.
Tom

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Sounds like a failed head gasket matesrates, not that big a deal :)

You can order a new gasket from a vendor (cheap & easy) or make your own by tracing the old gasket on a sheet of thin aluminum or even copper (the same or slightly thinner than original, thinner increases compression). If you've kept on top of the head bolt torque (lol) then that's not the only problem - you may have a slightly warped head, also a pretty easy fix ;)
Thanks for the reply
The oil is leaking from top of head where the spark plug connects into
Just confirming the bottom gasket on head is the base gasket
And top gasket is head gasket??

Thanks for your help

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
If the oil is comming out where the spark plug is ,then I think the oil level in the crankcase is way too high

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Oil is actually comming out of the same hole as the plug? Or about an inch or so below where the head connects to the jug?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
It will build oil around the head gasket if it is loose. [Nuts at the head gasket]. Once you get those nuts on the head gasket tight again you will probably notice a lot more power from the motor. Loosing compression at the head gasket robs power.

Tighten the nuts in an X pattern it is important to do it evenly. A torque wrench to about 20 foot pounds is the official way. If you got no torque wrench by hand will have to do . Do it evenly and no tighter than one puts a spark plug in will be about right.

Last edited:

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Oil is actually comming out of the same hole as the plug? Or about an inch or so below where the head connects to the jug?
Hi there thanks for the reply
Oil is leaking where the top head connects to jug...About a inch away from spark plug
Not out of spark plug hole
What do you think of this??brnot

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
If the oil is comming out where the spark plug is ,then I think the oil level in the crankcase is way too high
Thanks for the reply
How do i clean out the oil????
Also the gasket is warped..
But head bolts tight
What do you think of this??
Thankszpt

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Give us picts if the gasket is warped something is not right. How could a gasket be warped uneven surfaces on the head or jug . even perhaps the gasket had been put on wrong from factory. Get a straight edge and check over the jug surface and the head. Let us know.

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Give us picts if the gasket is warped something is not right. How could a gasket be warped uneven surfaces on the head or jug . even perhaps the gasket had been put on wrong from factory. Get a straight edge and check over the jug surface and the head. Let us know.
The bike is second hand maybe they put it the wrong way..
Possibly if i put it the right way and put washers under the nuts it might help tighten up that extra bit??....
But is it normal for a 2 stroke ....To have oil around the top of engine????
Maybe last person ran a rich mixture??
I bought it cheap just to play around with it..
I have another bike i ride with near new motor
Thanks for your help

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Clean it up too and observe it. Get some brake cleaner. You don't have to go and tighten it a ridiculous amount that's not good ether. It is possible there might be a defect in the surfaces but that is pretty rare.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A lot of the time, if the plug has been removed, the "gasket" or washer is smashed down and it will leak a bit. Not a big deal. If the head gasket is leaking, just replace it.
It also may be leaking around the exhaust, since those gaskets are notoriouly bad.

I would just keep an eye on it after you clean it the best you can, and see where it's actually coming from.

matesrates

Feb 6, 2010
sydney
Clean it up too and observe it. Get some brake cleaner. You don't have to go and tighten it a ridiculous amount that's not good ether. It is possible there might be a defect in the surfaces but that is pretty rare.
Thankyou goat herder and all the other people who help me
I just undone the head cleaned it all up..Put gasket glue on both sides of gasket them put all back together..
Not one oil leak :)
But maybe glue might melt so i see how it goeszpt

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thankyou goat herder and all the other people who help me
I just undone the head cleaned it all up..Put gasket glue on both sides of gasket them put all back together..
Not one oil leak :)
But maybe glue might melt so i see how it goeszpt
What kind of "glue" did you use? There are products made for sealing gaskets. Some will even take the heat of an exhaust flange. Check the label on the material you used. It should tell you if it is heat tolerant or compatible with gasoline/oil and recommended for cylinder heads.
Tom