sbp expansion chamber?

GoldenMotor.com

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
I just ordered my Hd shift kit today so obviously I need a new "want to have" item. I have what i believe is a 49cc engine. I still havent measured the stroke but the bore is 40mm. I am very curious as to how loud these expansion chamber pipes are. I like mine fairly quiet and I'm surprised how quiet it is with the stock muffler. Will the expansion chamber still produce good results with out any other mods like carb, porting cylinder, or compression increases? Would it be a waste of money with out some or all of these other mods?

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
Bluenose,
I have a PK80 slant. There was a world of difference in power with a pipe. A big difference without "Tuning" (adjusting the length) right out of the box. As far as noise, the SBP pipe is pretty quiet during normal operation, if ya crank on it and it "comes on the pipe" I don't think it's much louder than stock, noise is coming from behind you(in my case).
Hope that helped.
Mac

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thats what i wanted to hear or not hear! Thanks, I'm just gonna have to get one. I dont mind the noise, but the less noise I make the less attention I grab. So is the sbp pipe the only one that is tunable out of the box with out modification/welding? Are they real heavy?

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
All you have to do to tune it is first have the motor running well BEFORE you put the pipe on, install pipe, warm it up with a short run, do a full throttle run for approx. 1/4 mile, hit kill switch @ full throttle, let cool, read plug.(this checks the Carb. rich/lean) adjust "C" clip as needed, repeat as needed, (sounds simple and quick, not always) if your close with the carb, you will feel a big difference, since your running a 49cc, they usually rev a bit higher, you may want to shorten, instructions come with the pipe or are on SBP web site.
The weight is just right, not to heavy but durable, I welded a bracket on mine with a MIG welder, no burn thru issues, just don't fall asleep while your welding on it or get a shop to do it.
Hope that helps
Mac

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Great! I was little concerned about the weight remebering the pipes from yz dirt bike being fairly hefty. Good to know they are thick enought to weld some mounting brackets. Definatly on my list for next upgrade.

bluenosegoat

Dec 29, 2009
arizona
Thanks Pablo, I think I will be putting it on my sons bike as he is having trouble keeping up with me now and soon (hopefully this coming weekend) I'll have that shift kit on!