Ran out of gas for the first time....

GoldenMotor.com

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Something isnt right here....My tank was almost full and I drove 25 miles today and was in a hurry to get to a store before they closed,well on the way back the engine just died and I stopped and looked down at the wires and noticed the gas line was empty,empty I say....Well atleast I only had to pedal for a mile....Do most of you only get around 30 to 35 miles to a 1/2 gallon tank????
John-John

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i get about 60 to 70, and i only fill my tank up 3/4 full. WOT all the way.

EDIT!!!

i based this on a ride i took last weekend. i checked the route on google maps, and it was about 45 miles, round trip. i thought it was longer. at least, my teeth and my numb hands thought so...

left with 3/4, and still had fuel when i got home, but not much.

i've done longer trips on a tank, but a lot of it depends on where i'm riding, and how fast i'm going. not to mention on-shore winds heading back to the beach. headwinds will kill your mileage.

Last edited:

AaronF

Aug 24, 2009
Illinois
Same thing happened to me on a 15 mile ride with a full tank,luckily i floored it all the way home :D Not sure what the deal was with that but I was pissed!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Think you have a leak Buddy. 25 miles, some thing is up.

I put newspaper under my ChinaGirls to find leaks. They always have a 1 or 2. (would have to put a bullet threw the Honda, hehe)

Last edited:

Randog707

Oct 18, 2009
Fairfield,ca
I get about 35 miles and thats WOT,At fisrt I used to get about 25miles or so till I notice it was leaking a little from the carb drain screw,Tighten it up now I can go much further.Randy

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
Think you have a leak Buddy. 25 miles, some thing is up.

I put newspaper under my ChinaGirls to find leaks. They always have a 1 or 2. (would have to put a bullet threw the Honda, hehe)
No leakage Dan and im talking about not a drop....This is the cleanest engine I have ever had....It doesnt even have a spec of oil on it and it has 400 miles on it....I check the head bolts etc all the time....
John-John.shft.

Charged-Reacter

Dec 12, 2008
west-central Illinois
I took the gas line off my carburetor and emptied out fuel tank.
I pre- measured 32 ounces or 1 quart of fuel. My bike route is measured
out in miles. My fuel tank emptied at 17 miles and the bike engine quit
running but there was gas in the lines and fuel filter. To empty out the
gas line , I had to keep on trying to restart the bike engine. This was on
road with no hills.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I rode one time to Hillsboro, IL from Decatur, IL via the country side through the corn fields and made a 85 mile trip on just a tank full. filled tank to the neck! not a lot of wind that day and was drafting off my buddy the whole way when I could. :)
36t sprocket and stock carb. At the time, had just under 2000 miles on the motor.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I took the gas line off my carburetor and emptied out fuel tank.
I pre- measured 32 ounces or 1 quart of fuel. My bike route is measured
out in miles. My fuel tank emptied at 17 miles and the bike engine quit
running but there was gas in the lines and fuel filter. To empty out the
gas line , I had to keep on trying to restart the bike engine. This was on
road with no hills.

Hmmm... To me that's not very good. I never checked mine that perfectly, but I "roughly" average closer to 100.

I think a huge part of the difference is how fast we run the engines.

I tend to just putt along at half throttle or less, around 18-20 mph.

Last edited:

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
It may be pointless to talk about miles per tank because there are 4 sizes that are popular now. Somewhat under half gallon, half gallon, 3/4 gallon, and full gallon (rarer).

Better to know what tank you have and talk about MPG.

I get about 110mpg and after leaning out to the danger point on recent trip (gray plug) almost double that. 50:1 BTW.

fall_down_stand_up

Apr 26, 2009
granbury
It may be pointless to talk about miles per tank because there are 4 sizes that are popular now. Somewhat under half gallon, half gallon, 3/4 gallon, and full gallon (rarer).

Better to know what tank you have and talk about MPG.

I get about 110mpg and after leaning out to the danger point on recent trip (gray plug) almost double that. 50:1 BTW.
55 miles to a half gallon sounds about how it should be....
John-John