spokes break on brand new rim..

GoldenMotor.com

boltonib

Sep 28, 2009
boone
Hey i just installed a bmp FD kit on my gary fisher with a dax titan. I was riding it this evening when i noticed a loud pop. I looked down and one of the supporting rods had become loose and the screw was gone. I then noticed that one of the spokes broke away from the rim. I proceded to ride b/c my house was not 20 feet away and another spoke broke loose. What do you think the problem was in this case.. i was carrying a 50 lb bag of groceries on my back and i weigh 180 lbs. I was thinking maybe the screw popped loose and got caught up in the wheel and broke a spoke but i am curious of your opinions. Thanks so much for your help...

P.S where can i get a good rear rim that wont break/ how can i prevent this from happening again...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I weigh 250 and I carry lots of groceries from wal-mart a mile away with no problem so far. I do have an older mountain bike seems to have pretty stiff spokes. I think they make mountain bikes with better spokes for rough riding off trail. Just a suggestion I am fairely new to this stuff.

boltonib

Sep 28, 2009
boone
thanks 4 the feedback yall,,, im pretty sure that one of the support bars just got tangled in the spokes and broke a few of them. My bike is running great right now with the titan and i cant wait to get my twist throttle in the mail bc i am using a makeshift keychain ring throttle handle( go button)..
Cheers

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum. This is the right place for help.
Sounds like you're right about the support breaking your spokes but if you decide to replace the rim with a heavier one here's a link to the Husky offerings> Wheels: Husky Bicycles
Tom

Last edited: