Spark Plug Gap??

GoldenMotor.com

Bud716

Sep 15, 2009
Riva, MD
I just installed a Jet Silver 80 cc engine on an old 26" Schwinn Collegiate and it runs great. What is the spark plug gap supposed to be set to?
It's marked "GNT" and "made in China E6T"

Thanks!

Bud

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
Why mess with it if its running GREAT ?
0.4mm-0.5mm or .028-.034 inch.
If it get starting hard might close it up to .020
Good Luck.

Bud716

Sep 15, 2009
Riva, MD
Yeah, I keep relearning the old adage: "...if it ain't broke, don't fix it!". But I'm always trying to improve things -- my downfall!

Thanks for the info!

Bud

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
NGK BP6HS is defo a good investment for $2 lol, I showed the stock, kit-supplied "spark plug" to some Yamaha performance techs for a good laugh...

They didn't think it funny o_O

They seem to take life a bit too seriously lol :D

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
I use any old piece of .031" safety wire as a gapper.

And notice no difference at all between BP6HS and cheapo GNT in terms of performance or reliability. On average they both last a couple years with 50:1. Much shorter time with oilier mixes.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not gonna take the bait - the ol' "what brand plug" debate knows only casualties lol

Yes, ofc the 20 cent el'cheapo plug is just as good as the renowned NGK :p

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I've seen plenty of manufacturing defects in those chinese plugs!!! Like oil coming out of the plug itself (from leaks in the plug) & the electrode tip falling out!

xlite

Jun 18, 2009
ny,ny
the 20 cent el'cheapo plug is just as good as the renowned NGK :p
20 cent? 20 cent? Did somebody say 20 cent? Where? 20 cent? :)

Even though they are both made in china now I'm sure the brand names have better QC. I have been very lucky to never have a problem with the cheapies. But I still replace with NGK/Denso/etc simply because they are available local and, believe it or not, cost less.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
2 dolla- 2 dolla! :D

Now I have that stuck in my head... thx xlite o_O

BTW - the reason I'm so "sold" on the NGKs is cause of all the assorted engines in various stated of disrepair I've had o'er the years with NGKs in them, the NGKs simply wouldn't foul... I'm not usually big on touting some marvel product or another, but seriously - I love me them NGKs, I wouldn't have dared run anythin' else in my 2stroke ultralight and that's a fact.

Not any multi-pronged, uberfancy, over engineered techno widget btw, just the good 'ol singles ;)

Last edited: