1955 Monark Rocket Build/restore

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
exactly. the "all original 30's Hawthorne Zep 26" bike" with new powdercoated paint and water-based tank decals.

that just reminded me of the halloween costume contest at the bar last night, where all the winners had store-bought costumes...

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
2door- it is just a tack weld also the steel used was 4130 tube i had laying around I had to sand the scale off before welding maybe that's why it looks like EMT. I have been a toolmaker for 21 years and have some engineering background in internal combustion engines and robotics so when it comes to structual integrity i can sometimes go overboard. But it never hurts to question someone on there way of doing something. no offense taken thanks -big mike
I thought I was the only one that was into robotics & engineering.

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Love your bike man....will be watching close...just finishing a 53' schwinn myself.... caught a little flack on here about my hub mods... more people are lovin' your bike than hatin' it .... keep up the good work, David

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
If your gonna build a museum piece, then put it in a museum. Otherwise, build it to ride it, & enjoy it. If you didn't put all the work into your bike, where would it be then? A couple of small mods to see it fixed up, & on the road & ridden is well worth it.
I'd like to see some pictures of that '53 schwinn. I had a '66 schwinn as a kid, & I loved that bike - except for the short throw cranks. Can't win 'em all. Anyway, I dig the old stuff. The more pics, the better.

Last edited:

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
hey genius, the pics are here , just look at the posts, put some a couple days ago then some last week... been putting em' up as i go... will have the finshed ones in a day or so...

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
I'm a Monark guy. I'm doin' a 100pt resto on this bike. It's been in my family for 60+ years. YES, I'm putting a motor on it when it's done, & YES i'm riding it when it's done. Museum pieces are for museums. I'm gonna look at it, ride it, own it, restore it, & enjoy it. Lifes too short, & it's not meant to hang on a wall, it's meant to be ridden & enjoyed.
Long live the Rocket !!!!! :)

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
Although I do have a 1969 Lamburtus folder, and a '77 HD AMF Sportster, I am totally into Monarks. Before I started researching this bike, I had no idea what a Monark Rocket even was. Now that I know about them, I'm even more into them than ever. I am completely restoring this bike, & moneys' no object. I have most of it covered, exept for a few things:

(1) I have the model# under the crank tube, but don't know what year it is. I want to know the exact year.

(2) The front strut rods have a top mount - I don't even know what it looks like. I never had it. I need the mount & the struts (I lost the struts while in storage)

(3) The cranks & sprocket, although Monark, is not original to the bike (and it was bent). SilverBear sent me the right ones & saved the day. He rocks.

(4) The electric horn works, I have the tail reflector & rear rack, but I don't have the headlight, nor do I know what it even looks like.

(5) The rack is stamped steel with riveted legs, and is pinstriped. It has a busted tab where it connects to the seat clamp. (paper-thin steel - I have to mig weld)

(6) After repainting the maroon color, I have to figure out a way to reproduce the factory yellow/tan & baby blue/green hand-painted graphics. It would be nice to know what the 3 colors exactly are.

(7) It has a Bendix coaster brake. Is that original ? Also, why does it say both {Rocket} and {Silver King} on the neck badge ?

I Know this is a long message, but if you could help me with any of these things, that would be awsome. I can't find much info on Rockets, (lots on Silver Kings & Deluxe) but you seem the most knowlegible so far on Monarks, and I hope you can help. Your bike looks very similar to mine - even the colors, and believe me, I don't think they're very common. (good thing)

Thanx alot mpr455 - M&M (Mike & Michelle)

David D.

Sep 12, 2010
California
Hey Mike, look in "pictures, and in Vintage , and in general discussion... for a schwinn Corvette .... you will see posted the latest ones yesterday in the thread "build Off, amature"