can a 4 stroke 49cc carry a heavy load?

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Easily. It's all in how you gear it. With the correct gearing, a 49cc could carry a ton, (although not very fast)

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'd have to say that it depends on if that load is gonna be on level terrain or not as lengthy hills will quickly kill any momentum you could possible accumulate with a 49cc motor. Unless you can find a way to attach a supercharger or turbo to it. laff

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not all 49s are created equally, nor are all our interests or applications. Realistically, if your primary interest is building a daily rider/commuter just about any decent 49cc four stroke is more then capable of carrying only 150kg/330lb as a motorized bicycle. For an example my ebike is a mere 1.3hp, half that of the typical 49cc four stroke and yet it performs perfectly well with my 90kg/200lb carcass on it, even hauling a trailer & cargo.

If you live in a particularly hilly area you may wish to consider gearing if possible but even just some light pedal assist would suffice with just about any 49cc four stroke - as another example here's my 49cc four stroke laden down with camping gear and random junk for a total of an approximate 226kg/500lb, yet I had no problems whatsoever keeping up with the 49cc two stroke mopeds and scooters I was riding with at the time...

...granted it's a hybrid, but the electric assist doesn't help at all past 20mph and in fact hinders it (drag) - I could have had equal preformance pedaling take-offs.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
One thing I will say is the 49cc four stroke Chinese Honda ATC90 style engines are substantially more powerful than the weedwhacker derived designs and some offer multi-speed transmissions with auto or manual clutch. The manual clutch three or four speed versions are easily 50mph engines in stock form.
They are also substantially harder to mount while retaining working pedals. The level of skill required to use this style engine for a bicycle puts it out of reach for most builders.
The power these engines put out needs a builder with good engineering and fabrication skill or a bottomless pocket, your choice.
If you have the skills and/or the means, this is a wonderful engine.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpJxFf0yyfI

Last edited: