eBay Brandless Sprocket Adapter "NINE HOLE SPROCKET// UP GRADE KIT STANDARD HUB"

GoldenMotor.com

MysterySandwich

Jun 30, 2012
California
Okay, so it's not exactly a sprocket adapter, just an upgraded version of the ragjoint...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/80CC-MOTOR-...Cycling_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d1e5faa7

Is that measly hose clamp strong enough to take significant pressure off the spokes? What do you guys think...

Here's a screenshot for future lurkers when the ebay item is unavailable...
"80cc Motorized BIKE GAS ENGINE parts - chrome motor slant head engine ENG-CHO"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I see no advantage over the stock rag joint. You still have to rely on the 9 bolts to get the sprocket to run true with no lateral wobble. The only thing it might do is help center the sprocket on the hub but if you spend some a time that isn't hard to do.
Seems like a lot of $ for something that doesn't do much. A gimmick from my point of view and would not save you any installation labor. In fact it might take longer.

Tom

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I'm inclined to agree with 2door. That hose clamp will strip before you ever get enough pressure on it for that adapter to grip the hub. Not to mention that like Tom said, you still have to rely on the 9 bolts to get the sprocket true. If you really want something better than a rag joint, you're going to have to shell out the money for a real sprocket adapter. Its this simple. Measure your hub with a caliper, then go here: http://www.piratecycles1.com/picycbspad.html and select the size that matches your hub, and order it. At least that's one option.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I figure the clamp centers it and the bolts tighten it up. Looks like a good idea if it works.
Centering is usually the worst part of a ragjoint build, especially for new builders.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Same price as a real hub adapter, so why buy this thing?
Where do you get a real hub adapter for $45? I paid $75 shipped for mine without a sprocket. Of course, my adapter was designed for the kit sprockets so I didnt have to buy an extra one, but still. Most of the good ones cost $75 or more with a sprocket included.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
I figure the clamp centers it and the bolts tighten it up. Looks like a good idea if it works.
Centering is usually the worst part of a ragjoint build, especially for new builders.
That's a good point.

And I wouldn't underestimate a hose clamp either, they can get pretty tight, not as tight as bolts though. But combine that with being on the rag, it's centered, it's stronger, a bit better.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The "ragless" hub adapters do 3 things. They pretty much guarantee concentricity (perfectly centered), they guarantee lateral trueness, and they also take most of the stress off the spokes (I think there will be more stress on the spokes of a motorized bicycle than a pedal-only bicycle no matter what). This adapter may improve concentricity, but if it still relies on a rubber rag, I don't possibly see how it can guarantee lateral trueness, or take any stress off the spokes. And in my mind, the number one reason to use any hub adapter is to take the stress off the spokes, otherwise there isn't much point to one. I know that's the whole reason I got a hub adapter for my 98cc build. No way I was trusting a rag joint to stand up to that kind of power. The "adapter" the op linked to is nothing more than a very expensive and complicated rag joint, and a waste of money.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Where do you get a real hub adapter for $45? I paid $75 shipped for mine without a sprocket. Of course, my adapter was designed for the kit sprockets so I didnt have to buy an extra one, but still. Most of the good ones cost $75 or more with a sprocket included.
Kit sprockets are JUNK, their teeth are badly formed, a lot of them aren't
concentric and they can be warped too.
Why you would want to use a kit sprocket is beyond my comprehension.

Manic Mechanics small bolt circle adapter is only $36 and if you were a real
penny pincher you could drill a kit sprocket to fit! :D

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, to each his own. I've never had a complaint with a kit sprocket other than the fact that the rag joints suck. I like my adapter and my kit sprocket just fine, thank you. If the sprocket is concentric and laterally true (almost impossible not to be with a hub adapter), and the chain is properly aligned, with 9 bolts holding the sucker in place, no reason it should warp. In fact, I'll trust 9 bolts a heck of a lot more than I'll trust 3. The sprocket I have now was free and in excellent condition when I received it. Why would I buy another adapter when I'm perfectly happy with my Howard adapter? Especially considering the fact that the adapter and sprocket required no modification whatsoever to use on my bike. Sorry dude, but its my bike and I'm happy with it. Nothing is going to change that.