finally, a new project....

GoldenMotor.com

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
ok, so here is some progress and a teaser...
made some bearing cups out of 3/4" INTERNALLY THREADED pipe coupling, got two out of each 6" piece with enough left over to work with for cutting purposes, then drilled out the inside using a step-up bit to 7/8" inner diameter...
and here is the drawn plan for the rockers... based on the harley springer design...

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
Nice way to overcome the bearing cup prob , just 1 question is that pipe fitting steel or black iron in galv coat ?

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
ok, FINALLY SOME PROGRESS...work has been kickin my butt, and its been REAL HARD to get motivated for anything besides sleep and cartoons....

so, first up are the rockers...cut from 1/4"x1 1/2" bar stock, then clamped together and drilled for dropout and whole saw used for bearing cup positions..
THE SECOND photo shows how the rockers were shaped to allow for maximum travel, should I hit any of the florida gators while cruising at top speed...

Attachments

Last edited:

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
then, once everything was drilled out and dropouts carved to completion, I welded in the bearing cups.
this was done by placing the rockers on a flat NEW sheet of metal, to avoid any high low spots and simply lined up before tacking, and then fully welding in...
and VOOOALAH: FANCY SCHMANCY SPRINGER FORKS...

Attachments

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
...and here are a shot showing compression, and one on a wheel...
THIS WHEEL USED FOR MOCK-UP ONLY, THE SPACING OF EVERYTHING WAS ACTUALLY DESIGNED FOR EITHER A STURMEY ARCHER, OR WORKSMAN DRUM HUB....

Attachments

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'm lovin' it.

Just curious. How did you determine the spring rate? Was it by-guess-and-by-golly, or did you calculate it? Getting the right spring for the weight of bike and rider can be a challange. But, it sure looks good.
Tom

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Great write-up and pics, half!
Tnx a lot!

I think oilite bushings might have been btr and cheaper, especially with the actual spin rate and distance of travel involved.

I also think some sort of small spring, or at least a compressable rubber bushing at the top of the spring stack will be useful for when the front axle unloads.
When the front end lifts, or wheel drops, it's gonna ker-chunk!
Really annoying with a springer! lol

and if you don't incorporate some sort of dampening you will have a lot of fun learning abt springer pogo stick action.

I do know people who got pretty well banged up and mangled some nice looking harleys when they encountered a washboard surface in a turn, riding a hardtail frame with a springer front end. At the speed they were travelling it just hopped them right off the road.

Best
rc

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
I am with rusty you should have dampening rubbers or springs. Even the old Monark springers have them..........Curt

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Look closely, and you will see the rubber dampener at the top!
And, I didn't find a nice return spring until everything was pretty well put together, else I WOULD'VE used that...however, it would've required a taller post, or shorter main-load spring...
As for washboard, don't really get a lot of that here, just a couple of real doozies of potholes...so, I figure between the springer front, and sprung seat, I SHOULD be alright..?!?
Seems to work fine for a China girl, the added power and speed of the 4-strokes may change my mind, I figure I'm already 60*/. Safer not riding drunk anymore! (Used to b pretty bad about that :( )

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Oh, and as far as bushings/bearings debate; I wanted the ultra smooth action of the bearing, with the added benefit of NO side to side wobbly action...
And from my skateboarding experience, these can put up w/a HECK OF A LOT OF ABUSE!!!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Soon you will be the resident Xpert, half!

All I know is what I've seen. Never personally owned a mc with a springer installed on it. bought and sold quite a few, though, and seen quite a few run on friends bikes.

Your thread has been great and I'll look forward to the reports you will post on your travels.

Oh, I forgot to ask if you made any considerations of trail when you were doing your setup. It will make significant difference in handling.
Rake and trail... interesting subject for study... frame geometry does funny things.

Oh, btw, when you don't drink, and DO tumble, it hurts right away, and not just later. Been there, done that.

:)
rc

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
this will be the third set of homemade springers I've built, and going back to the first rocker design.
It is based on a simple Harley sportster springer front end, the forward linkage provides easy cushion
And stable riding. When the spring compresses, it sends the frame down and slightly forward, giving a low center of gravity, and have only ever had it get squirly when trying to maneuver turns at speeds I should never be attempting in the first place...

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
RC said:
Oh, btw, when you don't drink, and DO tumble, it hurts right away, and not just later. Been there, done that.
I hate when that happens :p At least wiping out with a buzz on gives you an excuse,(and less instant pain) heh heh.

Those'll be sweet to your shoulders Halfyman. Keep kickin butt eh.

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
Did you just call me HALF A MAN?!? ...WHY, I OUGHTA.... LOL.
YEAH, THE DRANK SHO MADE IT EASY TO FALL, JUST TOO BAD IT MADE IT EASY TO FALL...IF YAH CATCH MY MEANING...
PLUS, I have my first son on the way, and want to set a better example for him than I would've previously.

Last edited:

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Congradulation on the first son gives a hole new meaning to life I raised 4 son's. I remember two mini bikes and was constantly fixing one so they could take turns riding.No time for drink.

I love your bike AWESOME...............Curt