Swirl Paint Tank?

GoldenMotor.com

YoungRatRod

Oct 19, 2011
Wichita, Kansas
Alright so I was going to repaint my guitar to this but then I got to thinking, what if you could paint a gas tank like this? Or if you have a big enough container, your whole frame?

I might try this when I tear the bike down to paint, it'd be radical...

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
the container you could be looking for can be found at k mart or walmart a plastic childs swimming pool .
Gary

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
Speaking my language. I've been thinkin' the same thing. I like to paint everything. i've swirled a few guitars now and have had really cool out comes. Have you painted the guitar yet? how did it come out? I want to do the whole bike. the only way i could see it working with the bike though is to have something a hugh container with a ton of water and a device to slowly lower the bike in the water, and as you're pouring the paint in, it's drying within a few seconds. I think to do it right it would take a day to prep and about 5 min to see that it's time to start over again.

Attachments

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
this is a time consuming and inexpensive project. you need a Hugh container (deep not flat) and fill it with water. Then you need oil based enamel paints (i used model paints, little ones. the paint will float on top of the water and quickly began to dry. 2-3 colors and carefully mix them around and dunk your stuff in slowly. pull it out and see what you've got. here's a good video of a swirl. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cY4LXZqX-w

Kiwegapawa

May 2, 2011
Village of Cooper's Cave
Fantastic Technique!

With a wooden frame set up, or a trash can, or 55 gallon drum. You can pick up industrial 55 gallon trash bags large enough for a bicycle frame, gas tank, what ever. That way you can do quick changes and toss the last trash bag used. Ace Hardware, Staples, Walmart, K-Mart, they all carry them. I get them at Ace for $21.39 counting tax for 60 bags. These bags are 57 inches in length. That means I can do this type paint job to my Stretch Cruiser Z2 Tank, if I choose to. As it's 56 inches in overall length. Course that would mean I'd have to make a wooden container to make that length. Or maybe weld up a couple 55 gallon drums and cut one short. That is say if I was to be doing that type paint job regularly.

Takes me little over a year to go through these bags for trash. Of course now after seeing this,
I know I'll use them up faster. The use of the paint, isn't really going to be that much more. Like that of the You Tube video shows. It is the surface water being used. Though there is a larger surface area being used, the paint sits on top. Hence the effect. Course if looking to make this paint job last, 5 to 10 coats of clear on top of that. Now there is where your expense will build up, no doubt!

.shft.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks YRR that rocks! looking into it, can't wait to dip a tank and some covers. Just need some Borax and some decent paint, woo!

lol Kwi, we know where to get bags, did you know they make ones for groceries too? wild eh? heh heh. :/

T-lo

Feb 8, 2012
Orange Park
I did use a color base coat on this guitar. another one i did i only used white. the color is the neon floresent orange you see sprayed on the sidewalks.