First build questions on what type bike to buy...

GoldenMotor.com

phivethreephive

Aug 25, 2011
Des Moines, IA.
Hi, I'm new here and I know it's been posted a billion times but I'm very close to pulling the trigger on either a Felt Slant Cruiser or an Electra Cruiser 1 (Both single speeds) and I'm looking for quick advice.

Am I making a mistake going with a single speed? In another thread I think I read something about multi speed cruisers having more desirable hubs for motorizing.

I link these because they're cheap ($220-$280) but if I end up having to replace a bunch of parts that won't make as much sense.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I don't know if this helps but I have an o/p cruiser with over 600 miles on it. It is a low end single speed from wallly world, aluminum frame.

dirt

Aug 13, 2011
United States
IMHO it is all in what you want. Where I liver there are a few hills. Most are small, but some are really hard to peddle up. For this reason I went with an old 10 speed mountain bike and installed a jack shaft shift kit. The shift kit eliminates the front derailleur, so it is now a 5 speed. I really like it, but if I lived on all flat ground I would prefer a single speed cruiser since they have less parts and are more comfortable. A good compromise may be a three speed (internal hub type) cruiser with a jack shaft shift kit.

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Both are good bikes. I've not built on a Felt frame but I hope to some day. I do have a bike build on an Electra Coaster 7, which is the same frame geometry as the cruiser, only using an aluminum frame over the cruiser's steel frame.

With that frame, and possibly with the felt too, you will have to find ways to make the motor fit. There are several solutions in this forum for the Electra frame that I've seen.

The major drawback you will have in a single speed cruiser is the lack of proper brakes. Single speed cruisers generally only have rear coaster brakes which are NOT sufficient for stopping a motorized bicycle. There are options to convert single speeds to use front and rear v-brakes, however and I suggest you look those up and apply them to your build. They'll wear the paint off the edge of your rim eventually but you will be able to stop when you want, which to me at least, is a big plus.

phivethreephive

Aug 25, 2011
Des Moines, IA.
Thanks, I actually did pony up the extra $60 for the Electra Cruiser 7spd which has the front and rear cable brakes. I figure it will save me a lot more than $50 down the road.

I probably would have put a suspension for on the front to get front brake.

I order the Jet "80cc" 2 stroke motor kit from gasbike.net and I'm hoping to do the whole project for under $500. Then the plan is to sell the first build and take what I learned and build a better one in the spring