Need help finding a fuel tank bung

GoldenMotor.com

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
I am looking for a source for a filler bung and cap. That can be welded or brazed to a DIY boardtrack tank. Looked around but haven't had much luck.

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I noticed when I did my home-made tank that the motorcycle places tend to charge quite a lot. They look nicer, but they are also "motorcycle-sized", which is rather out of proportion on a motor-bicycle tank.

What can be much cheaper is to go to surplus sites and just find a cheaper small hydraulic resovoir or metal fuel tank, and cut the fitting & cap from that. (I did not realize this until after I built mine,, but hey. you learn a lot of "what not to do" the first time you build one of these things yourself from scratch,,,, )
~

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Check out this $14.99 Filler Twist Cap with Steel Neck. I used one on my tank and it works fine.
Looks like a pretty good deal, Elmo. About what diameter is that opening? Is the cap Vented? Does it leak? I'll be making a copper in frame tank this winter and had figured on using the same as I do on the behind the seat tanks I make... a 3/4" male copper plumbing fitting with a 3/4" brass garden hose cap. I like them and sometimes vent the cap and sometimes run a separate vent line. What is inconvenient about them is the size. It pretty well requires using a funnel to put gas in. Not the end of the world, but something bigger and affordable would be nice. The ones from The Bung King are really nice, but out of my price range. Fifteen bucks and I would guess another five or so for shipping and that's about as high as I'll go. The stuff I use comes to about five bucks. What a cheapskate I am.
SB

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Elmo,
That is about what I was looking for. Thanks to everyone for the input. My work is not of the grade that requires top of the line stuff.
I am hoping that the DIY tank will not leak, however I will do a 24 hr. pressure test befor putting any fuel in it.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Looks like a pretty good deal, Elmo. About what diameter is that opening? Is the cap Vented? Does it leak? I'll be making a copper in frame tank this winter and had figured on using the same as I do on the behind the seat tanks I make... a 3/4" male copper plumbing fitting with a 3/4" brass garden hose cap. I like them and sometimes vent the cap and sometimes run a separate vent line. What is inconvenient about them is the size. It pretty well requires using a funnel to put gas in. Not the end of the world, but something bigger and affordable would be nice. The ones from The Bung King are really nice, but out of my price range. Fifteen bucks and I would guess another five or so for shipping and that's about as high as I'll go. The stuff I use comes to about five bucks. What a cheapskate I am.
SB
The cap is vented. A 2 5/16" hole saw cuts a perfect sized hole. Mine doesn't leak. I couldn't find a 2 5/16 saw locally and ordered it from Grainger, I have a no shipping account chrage there.

Last edited: