Picker Mike Wolfe rusties

GoldenMotor.com

GTX

May 5, 2010
Prattville
I remember the show where they found that one.It would be easy to copy using the Harbor Freight 2.5 hp engine.You can get one for about $80 if you go online and print the 20% off coupon...I got my coupon from a Popular Hot Rodding mag.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
personally, i like all his bikes, but this one is for sale...

Typical 50's build with washingmachine motor. I have a friend in OK that calls them Bartersville bikes. Here in MN they used to use the same but with belt drive to a car generator behind the seat that was on a pivit with the gen.housing cut out to rub againset the wheel (friction drive)

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You know if someone were to do a build and make jogs in the stays like that Bradley has everyone would be telling them how it will fail and how unsafe it is. rotfl

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Now why can't I find stuff like that? That top one is an Indian racer, maybe an 8-valve. Even in that kind of shape, it'll fetch serious money. (Alas, more money than I have.) But if I could afford that Indian, you better believe it would be running before long. No way to make it street legal, not without some major changes. But I would have loads of fun restoring it by hand.

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
Now why can't I find stuff like that? That top one is an Indian racer, maybe an 8-valve. Even in that kind of shape, it'll fetch serious money. (Alas, more money than I have.) But if I could afford that Indian, you better believe it would be running before long. No way to make it street legal, not without some major changes. But I would have loads of fun restoring it by hand.
I thought they would be grandfathered in, sort of like really old cars.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
You know if someone were to do a build and make jogs in the stays like that Bradley has everyone would be telling them how it will fail and how unsafe it is. rotfl
Yes and look how long them lasted. It could be done by useing flat stock, fitted with short pegs that would fit in the tubing and weld them in. Or even just tig welded to the tube.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I thought they would be grandfathered in, sort of like really old cars.
I've been called crazy many a time, but my insanity has it's limits. A great many people may not know the limitations of these old racers. That Indian 8-valve, all you get is a throttle. Thats it. Nobody raced at night back then, so no lights. No brakes. No clutch. No transmission. No cupholder. No radio. No nothing. Just the throttle and an earsplitting, snarling, fiendishly loud din from directly below you. And the wind in your face, and the flames on your pants. That's what you get. And lord help me, but I would dearly love every deafening minute of it. But as far as explaining to a cop how it got "grandfathered" in due to age, I think he'd place a higher priority on having lights at night and brakes at stoplights.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
LOVE IT. Just like Bert in the move The Worlds Fastest Indian. If no one has seen it you should rent it. Awesome how he cast his own pistons in beach sand and all the other things,not to mention the tires he ran at the salt flats. Must see move.
GTX could you take some closer detail pictures of the front fork and spring. Eather post or PM me? I am going to try and make a couple of Indian clones for a motor bike for SB and me.

Last edited:

42blue15

Sep 18, 2008
St Louis metro, USA
I've been called crazy many a time, but my insanity has it's limits. A great many people may not know the limitations of these old racers. That Indian 8-valve, all you get is a throttle. Thats it. ....
Most of the racers didn't have a throttle, they had a SWITCH! It was 100% on, or off. But yea, no brakes, no nuthin else either.

There were street-motorcycles though..... -but even if you found one of these old rides, using it much would be VERY impractical: that is because they had external top-end valve trains.

Up until about 1925, these sizes of engines had their camshafts inside the crankcase, and the push-rods stuck through holes to the outside (as they went up to where the cylinder head was). The valve lifters and valves are totally exposed, with no regular oil supply to lubricate them at all. As a result of that, they wear out very quickly with use.

By about 1935 all the motorcycle companies had abandoned external valve trains and closed them up inside the engine, where they could be kept oiled. And this is why if you go to any big motorcycle meets, you may see quite a few motorcycles cruising that date all the way back to about 1935, but you almost never see anyone putting road miles on anything earlier than that. Nobody who owns a cycle that old wants to ruin the valve train parts just for the sake of putting a few dozen miles on it--especially if the parts are vintage.
~

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Most of the racers didn't have a throttle, they had a SWITCH! It was 100% on, or off. But yea, no brakes, no nuthin else either.

There were street-motorcycles though..... -but even if you found one of these old rides, using it much would be VERY impractical: that is because they had external top-end valve trains.

Up until about 1925, these sizes of engines had their camshafts inside the crankcase, and the push-rods stuck through holes to the outside (as they went up to where the cylinder head was). The valve lifters and valves are totally exposed, with no regular oil supply to lubricate them at all. As a result of that, they wear out very quickly with use.

By about 1935 all the motorcycle companies had abandoned external valve trains and closed them up inside the engine, where they could be kept oiled. And this is why if you go to any big motorcycle meets, you may see quite a few motorcycles cruising that date all the way back to about 1935, but you almost never see anyone putting road miles on anything earlier than that. Nobody who owns a cycle that old wants to ruin the valve train parts just for the sake of putting a few dozen miles on it--especially if the parts are vintage.
~
True, all that. And yet, if the means to possess an old 8 valve EVER came my way, I'd go for it. I'd be willing to bet you would too :)

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
I've been called crazy many a time, but my insanity has it's limits. A great many people may not know the limitations of these old racers. That Indian 8-valve, all you get is a throttle. Thats it. Nobody raced at night back then, so no lights. No brakes. No clutch. No transmission. No cupholder. No radio. No nothing. Just the throttle and an earsplitting, snarling, fiendishly loud din from directly below you. And the wind in your face, and the flames on your pants. That's what you get. And lord help me, but I would dearly love every deafening minute of it. But as far as explaining to a cop how it got "grandfathered" in due to age, I think he'd place a higher priority on having lights at night and brakes at stoplights.
My point was, the age of the motorcycle would allow it to be driven on the streets, just like you can drive any pre-1968 car without seat belts, and still be street legal for not having them. Thats what antique tags are for. Granted you cant drive a 1912 wagon buggy at night without putting lights on it, but if the amish can drive their buggies (with minor modifications at night because of a grandfather law, then a bike wheel spun generator powered headlight and brake light should suffice to grandfather in a classic board track.

xl54ss

Nov 2, 2008
North Carolina

~
These people ride them a few miles -- Motorcycle Cannonball Coast To Coast Vintage Motorcycle Race

Mike GeniuS

Oct 27, 2010
florida
I remember the show where they found that one.It would be easy to copy using the Harbor Freight 2.5 hp engine.You can get one for about $80 if you go online and print the 20% off coupon...I got my coupon from a Popular Hot Rodding mag.
I, too remember this one. He was impressed with stuff like the running boards.....