Tanks a lot

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
So riddle me this, Batman - why do whizzer tanks look good on a bike but the stock peanut tank looks redonkulus? Are the whizzer tanks larger? If so, what is their capacity. I see 2 liter , 2.5 liter, 3 litre,etcetera. What kind looks best on a bike frame?

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I dunno what the Whizzer capacities are but the reasons they look better is the lack of that huge split seam and I'm sure they got a deeper tunnel so they sit over the frame instead of on the frame. It's those 2 subtle differences that can make a big difference in how they look. I think somebody in here has taken a stock peanut tank, shaved off that seam and re welded it, then modified the tunneland it ended up looking a lot better.

Some of my ideas for better looking tanks were to use a 70's or early 80's minibike tank or a moped tank, then I saw the price of the moped tanks like the Puch tanks which can cost nearly $200, then some of the minibike tanks like the 1980 and older Suzuki JR50 tanks can be had for just under $100, and the post 1980 plastic tanks can be had for around $50 to $75 which also look decent on a bicycle since they're long, slender, and fit over the frame, but can hold a gallon of fuel. The Honda xr50 type tanks also look good but fitment takes some bracket fab work and they're designed for the seat to overlap so these don't look as good by themself, but do look really good if the seat can also be incorporated into the build.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Yeah......Myself, I don't mind the looks of the standard peanut tank so much. I can live with them.

Yet if we only had some choices in tank sizes, shapes and so on, then we could make some much better looking bikes.

But there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there. And most of them are just a bit too much money.

Kinda frustrating, isn't it?

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
Yeah......Myself, I don't mind the looks of the standard peanut tank so much. I can live with them.

Yet if we only had some choices in tank sizes, shapes and so on, then we could make some much better looking bikes.

But there doesn't seem to be a lot of choices out there. And most of them are just a bit too much money.

Kinda frustrating, isn't it?
Thatsdax sells a 1/2 gallon and a 1 gallon tanks but they look like the stock peanut ones except bigger. He does sell a rear rack with a built in tank that can hold 3/4 gallon that is pretty cool.

JoeCool

Jul 8, 2015
Glendale, AZ
Wizzer tanks are 1.2 gallons.
Most kit tanks are .5 gallons.
Skyhawk tanks are .66 gallons.

Wizzer tanks do not mount easy on a bicycle, but will go on.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Still looks better in my opinion. I have a lead on a plastic dirt bike tank. Do I need that vent tube or can I get a vented cap?

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
That's a good looking plastic tank. One bolt mounting with some weatherstrip under both ends. The Whizzer tanks are by far the best looking and fit older bikes beautifully because they were made for a one inch backbone. I use small motorcycle and moped tanks on my DIY builds. They all need fab work but that's the idea of DIY. Here's a couple of pics.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis

that's one big ass tank

Fellow I got it from didn't know the capacity but it's plenty. Got it for 15 buh too so it's a pretty sweet deal

Last edited:

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
It's definitely a good deal, but that thing is huge... You can easily do a full break in on just that tank... but it would be good if you do a lot of long distance rides or just like to fill up once a month...

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I know, Crazy right? But I drove a fer piece to get it so I wasn't gonna turn around. I'm sure I can make it work. It may look better with a 4 stroke.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I only have a 1 gallon gas can so about as much as it would if I had a slightly larger peanut tank. BTW I know that tube is a vent but can't I just get a vented cap and be done with it?

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
Consarnit! Dag blame thing is too big. Won't fit on any bike without looking weird. Off to ebay it goes. I guess in my heart I knew it was too big but a guy can dream