Good supplier of internal geard full rear wheels?

GoldenMotor.com

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I usually have hubs laced in from my local bike shops but I'd rather just buy wheels made by a machine with my part choices and specs ready for production.

I build a lot of shifters and sick of the problems derailleurs have. just today a new customers 49cc 4-storke 7-speed derailleur broke in frigg'n half.
There are plenty more reasons that include the thin chain and alignment issues for my disdain for them but enough to where to just don't want to JS them anymore.

I simply want to offer two internal hub geared 26" wheel options regardless of the bike type as an upgrade on a Jackshaft build.

A 3 or 5 speed with a band brake.
I sent this to the first place Google saw, bikeisland.com
--------
Greetings from Phoenix,
I build shifting motorized bicycles and need a reliable source for wheel sets.

My staple buys will be the Sturmey Archer XL-RD3 3-speed and XL-RD5 5-speeds.
Half grip twist gear selector and 90mm band brakes, mounted to 26” steel wheels with 13g good spokes and an 18T freewheel 410 chain drive sprocket.
Brake lever and cable not needed.

These will be used on 26” beach cruiser style bikes with horizontal rear dropouts and just figure non colored rim.

I would rather not have to buy a matching front wheel but some builds do have them so unless you paint rims I’d by a set.

Here is what I am talking about, just look at the Shifter build links.
http://kcsbikes.com/currentBuilds.asp

I have a need for one 5-speed right now but break me out prices for both 3 and 5 speed and I may just get both and more in the future.

Thanks,

KC Vale
KC’s Kruisers http://KCsBIkes.com
10222 N. 14th Ave.
Phoenix, AZ 85021
[email protected]
------

If any of you have a source or the skill and right machine to make those and ship to me for a reasonable price let me know.

Here are the Hubs.

This is the 5-speed, 90mm drum brake with 256% gear ratio

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/4/id/33

Gear Ratio

• Overall Range - 256%
• Gear 1 - 62.5% (-)37.5%
• Gear 2 - 75% (-)25% (Gear 1 + 20%)
• Gear 3 - 100% Direct Drive (Gear 2 + 33%)
• Gear 4 - 133.3% (+)33.3% (Gear 3 + 33%)
• Gear 5 - 160% (+)60% (Gear 4 + 20%)

This is the same hub in a 3-speed version, note the smaller 177% gear ratio.

http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/3/id/38

Gear Ratio

• Overall Range - 177%
• Gear 1 - 75% (-)25%
• Gear 2 - 100% Direct Drive (Gear 1 + 33%)
• Gear 3 - 133% (+)33.3% (Gear 2 + 33%)

'Wanna-Be' Wheel Builder Note:
I am not looking for something cheap or used for a personal build here, I am looking for a reliable quality wheel maker for production bikes.

Thanks guys ;-}

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I usually have hubs laced in from my local bike shops but I'd rather just buy wheels made by a machine with my part choices and specs ready for production.

Thanks guys ;-}
Hand built wheels are extremely easy to do! IMHO....Gosh I laced my first set of wheels ever in about 1 1/2 hours. Of course it helped that I had occasionally straightened out and maintained all my wheels through the years before myself.

The ones I built built recently ''two a matching set'' in 1 1/2 hours are still currently attached to a 10 plus horse power engine and I have never even had to do a follow up on them what so ever in about 7000 miles now.. Still as tight as when I left them. :)

Would definitely built my own again!

I think from what I have read and what I 'v personally seen,, hand built trumps machine built any day!.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
KC I've got a real good wheel building book on PDF. I would be happy to send you a copy just pm me your email. Wheel building is doable by most.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
KC I've got a real good wheel building book on PDF. I would be happy to send you a copy just pm me your email. Wheel building is doable by most.
i have this one also if it'll help and i also will have to e-mail it as the pdf is almost 8megs so too big to just post it up.

...although i suppose i could just post the pages as images if anyone is interested.

peace, bozo

Attachments

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
i have this one also if it'll help and i also will have to e-mail it as the pdf is almost 8megs so too big to just post it up.

...although i suppose i could just post the pages as images if anyone is interested.

peace, bozo

Look into an account at 4shared. I've had one for a while with no complaints. Larger files are no problem, I have some over 100 meg stored there. I think I've used almost 1 out of the 15 gig I'm allowed and I have a bunch of stuff there. I've also referenced it like some folks use Photobucket from time to time as well.

Mar 31, 2013
RI
Look into an account at 4shared. I've had one for a while with no complaints. Larger files are no problem, I have some over 100 meg stored there. I think I've used almost 1 out of the 15 gig I'm allowed and I have a bunch of stuff there. I've also referenced it like some folks use Photobucket from time to time as well.
...yeah man, i don't have any trouble storing the file as i have almost 4t in harddrive space, the problem is the file is bigger than the file size limit set by this website so i can't upload and share it. (like i said though, i COULD just save each page as an image, like i did with the cover, and then just post up the images, ...if anyone want's it that way that is)

peace, bozo

btw, thanks for the tip, and yeah, i guess i could upload it there and then link to it i suppose, i've just never used a file-sharing site before as it always seemed so cumbersome doing it that way, ...frankly, this file is available to anyone who goes looking for it and i'm sure there are others out there as well.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You guys are missing my whole point...

I'm sure I would be a dandy wheel maker with just a truing stand, I just don't want to put my work time there so I'm willing to just pay for wheels I can pull out of a box as just a good part and put my time to how it works with the rest of shifting bike I'm building.

Goat, drop me a price for a wheel if you like making them and want to be paid for your time doing it right.

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I've tried automatic shifting with the NuVinci Dev Kit, I prefer a manual twist shift.

I'm just going to order this and have a local shop lace it.
http://www.sturmey-archer.com/products/hubs/cid/4/id/33

It's going to replace the 7-speed in this very recent build.

We broke the stock 7-speed chain in testing and put a KMC on it and was dandy for a couple of weeks and then the customer said the derailleur broke in half.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm not surprised, these little 4-stroke motors can put out some torque when you wind 'em up. I like internal hubs for shifters and to this day I have yet to see any chain or hub fail on one of my shifter builds.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Will do, customer choice though, gave him 3 options.
Replace the derailleur for $50. Ppfftt, he already regrets not taking my option to make it an internal shifter from the bike shop to start with.

Both the 3 and 5 speed SA band brake hubs are nice, it's about a $50 price difference.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
The 3-speed is $87 +Ship

http://www.amazon.com/Sturmey-Arche...7&sr=1-2&keywords=3+speed+hub+with+drum+brake

The 5-speed is $157 delivered.

http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=41412&category=2713

Both have 'half grip' twist shifters and it will go on the left side which will put it upside down for the numbers but perfect for function.
If I don't like it I'll get a generic one from the local bike store, I used a 7-speed generic to replace the trigger shifter on this 7-speed.

That was a 2 stroke shifter so different, a 4-stroke will have the other brake lever where the clutch is but you get the idea and the generics come in everything from 3-8 for like $18.

The customer went with the 3-speed and ordered it already so next week I'll have the new internal on that bike.

stewpedassle

Feb 16, 2012
florida
custommoyorbicycle.com sells rim sets STURMEY ARCHER FRONT DRUM WHEEL AND REAR 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER SET 12G
STURMEY ARCHER FRONT DRUM WHEEL AND REAR 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER SET 12G,STA TRU REAR 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125 all chrome steel,thick 105g spokes,12 gauge spokes,heavy duty coaster hub thicker metal,22 tooth sprocket,1 1/2 inch,39mm,wide rim,similar to TANDEM wheels.RIM is 11mm inner depth and 30mm inner width.Great replacement wheelset! Sturmey Archer Drum Front Wheel has Cartridge bearings and internal brake shoes for consistent all weather performance.

STURMEY ARCHER FRONT DRUM WHEEL AND REAR 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER SET 12G $253.00

Spokes are the same gauge thickness 12gauge as SCHWINN TANDEM spokes and WHIZZER WHEEL spokes!!!
$253.00In stock3 SPEED SHIMANO SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125 BLACK RIM 12GAUGE STAINLESS SPOKES
3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125 BLACK RIM,thick 105g spokes,12 GAUGE STAINLESS spokes,heavy duty 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS coaster hub with bell crank and controls,22 tooth sprocket,1 3/8 inch,30mm,wide rim.RIM is 11mm inner depth and 30mm inner width.Nutted Axle Includes Shifter,22Tooth drive cog, and cable.Great replacement wheel!$136.00$136.00In stockPAIR 3 SPEED SHIMANO SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125 BLACK RIM 12GAUGE STAINLESS SPOKES
PAIR 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS COASTER WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125 BLACK RIM ,thick 105g spokes,12 GAUGE STAINLESS spokes,heavy duty 3 SPEED SHIMANO NEXUS coaster hub with bell crank and controls,22 tooth sprocket,1 3/8 inch,30mm,wide rim.RIM is 11mm inner depth and 30mm inner width.Nutted Axle Includes Shifter,22Tooth drive cog, and cable.Front wheel black Quando hub Stainlees steel 12 gauge spokes with Black alloy rim.Great replacement wheel set! $177.00
$177.00In stockKT COASTER BRAKE ARM
KT COASTER BRAKE ARM, fits all standard coaster brake hubs.$6.00
$6.00In stockSTA-TRU FRONT WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125"

FRONT WHEEL HEAVY DUTY 26 X 2.125"

all steel,thick 105g spokes,12 gauge spokes,heavy duty coaster hub thicker metal, 3/8 thicker diameter axle.RIM is 11mm inner depth and 30mm inner width.Axel is 93mm on outside of nuts spacing,131mm long.HISTOP TAIWAN KT brand.

FRONT Heavy Duty WHEEL $43.00,

matches above rim,regular wheel has 80 gauge spokes. 24 inch" Heavy duty wheels also available.Just email to order the 24 inch wheels.
$43.00In stock26" inch DISC BRAKE FRONT WHEEL DOUBLE WALL 32 SPOKE
26" inch DISC BRAKE FRONT WHEEL DOUBLE WALL 32 SPOKE, STA-TRU WHEEL,SHIMANO HB-M475 VIA-M HUB,32 Dt Swiss Stainless Spokes,Machined Double wall alloy rim,quick release skewer included.26 inch X1.75 dounle wall rim is 24mm wide outside measurement and,18mm inner width.Very light front wheel.A solid axle can be put into this hub to conevrt it to bolt on axle. $64.99
$64.99In stockFREE WHEEL BLACK RIM WHEEL 26"X1.75

FREE WHEEL BLACK RIM WHEEL 26"X1.75"inches, assembled in the USA by STA-TRU WHEELS,great for making your bike into a DISC brake front wheel close profile match to most stock black rims. Replacement rear wheel for 5 or 7 speed bikes.STEEL RIM is 11mm inner depth and 24mm inner width.Chrome plated hub,14 gauge stainless 36 spokes,and black steel rim. $39.00
$39.00In stockFREE WHEEL CHROME RIM WHEEL 26"X1.75
FREE WHEEL CHROME RIM WHEEL 26"X1.75"inches, assembled in the USA by STA-TRU WHEELS,great for making your bike into a DISC brake front wheel close profile match to most stock 1.75 steel rims. Replacement rear wheel for 5 or 7 speed bikes.RIM is 11mm inner depth and 24mm inner width.Chrome plated hub,14 gauge 36 spokes,and chrome steel rim. $43.00
$43.00In stockCOASTER BRAKE BLACK ALLOY RIM WHEEL 26"X1.75
COASTER BRAKE BLACK ALLOY RIM WHEEL 26 X 2.125",stock wheel on many cruisers,standard black alloy rim 30mm wide. Rainbow brand,stainless spokes,KT HISTOP chrome hub.Will take 26X 2.125"tire or 26X 1.90 or 1.75 wide tire,includes rim strip.$43.00
$43.00In stockFRONT WHEEL BLACK ALLOY RIM 26 X 2.125"

FRONT WHEEL BLACK ALLOY RIM 26 X 2.125",standard black alloy rim 30mm wide. Rainbow brand,stainless spokes,Shunfeng chrome hub.Will take 26X 2.125"tire or 26X 1.90 or 1.75 tire,includes rim strip.$25.00
$25.00In stockBRAKE SHOES PADSBRAKE SHOES PADS typical brake pads.$2.00each$3.50In stockREAR WHEEL NUT
REAR WHEEL NUT,3/8 axle 24T typical size for rear coaster brake wheels.24 threads per inch on most rear wheels. $1.00
$1.00In stockAssembled in a AMERICA STA-TRU WHEELS available in heavy duty chrome and black rim many sizes and rims support the USA workers. To many parts to have them all on this website. Call if you do not see what you are looking for. 414-732-0017 Special orders Welcome for hard to find parts!!

NEW Parts available from Planet Bike, Wald and SUGINO cranks what crankset are you looking for or a part from PlanetBike at low discount prices, just inquire. Lynn 414-732-0017

Gage
Number U.S. Steel Wire Gage British S.W.G. Birmingham Gage
12 .1055" 2.97 mm .1040" 2.6416 mm .1090" 2.7686 mm
13 .0915" 2.3241 mm .0920" 2.3368 mm .0950" 2.413 mm
14 .0800" 2.032 mm .0800" 2.032 mm .0830" 2.10 mm
15 .072" 1.8288 mm .072" 1.8288 mm .072" 1.8288 mm
16 .0625" 1.5875 mm .0640" 1.6256 mm .0650" 1.651 mm
17 .0540" 1.3716 mm .0560" 1.4224 mm .0580" 1.4732 mm
To many wheels to mention can order twisted spoke,144 spoke,72 spoke,72 spoke fan,144 spoke fan,24 inch coaster same rim look as 26 inch,20 inch coaster,aluminum 36 spoke coaster wheels,fixed free wheels,and plastic BMX wheels,can get axles and other parts. 414-732-0017

Save time and gas get your parts shipped directly to your home or shop!

How to Receive a Quote:

You will need to send us; 1) a list of the item(s) you are interested in, and 2) your complete shipping address including a phone number and email address, so we can generate a shipping quote and send it back to you. You can send your information to [email protected] or fill out the 'Contact Us' page on this website. Quotes are typically sent back via email, so please be sure that spam filters will not block our reply. Also, it sounds crazy, but be sure to correctly type in your email address - if your quote bounces back to us and your reply is not received you will probably think we are ignoring you which is never the case! It typically takes about 24 hours for us to generate a quote, although for complex parts and shipping situations are used it might take up to 2-3 days. There is no obligation to purchase when you request a quote. All we ask is that you are sensitive to our time and try to have a good idea what you need or are interested in before you ask us to put the work into generating a quote.

Reactions: LesLeb

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Thanks Stew, I didn't think to try Lynn, I have done business with her in the past.

A coaster brake rear wheel does me no good, it's a jackshafted build so you can't pedal backwards hence the rear drum brake, and the front has a nice V brake so no need for a drum brake front wheel.

The 3-speed SA with drum is on it's way.