what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Put on this fatty pipe yesterday, lost a little bottom end off my home made pipe but the mid and high is buck wild, she wants to really rev out but it seems like the cdi has a rev limiter or something

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

Put on this fatty pipe yesterday, lost a little bottom end off my home made pipe but the mid and high is buck wild, she wants to really rev out but it seems like the cdi has a rev limiter or something

Did ya open up the intake before ya put the carb on. Even the gasket they give ya is too small. The flange thats welded to the intake tube can be filed out and opened up A LOT, and the gasket to match. And as long as you have the intake off, check the intake port. A lot of times it's not really as smooth as it could be, The casting is always jagged. better air/fuel flow may just solve the top rev problem.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, No rev limiter on the CDI. When was the last time ya changed yer spark plug?

Last edited:

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

actually vik, i found out this morning that i will not be homeless after all...things have worked out, for a while at least, and i will still have a place to warm me bones...got a flying horse on its way and am going to be stuck using the same old solid mountain bike i used on the last build, but its comfortable for me...im 5'11" and the 26 wheels are great...need to acquire a springed seat, and maybe find someone junking an old mb with spring or shocked front end...the rigid kills me...pics to come of the new old build...
Great to hear

VIKTR

Jan 10, 2012
San Diego

Looks sweet

I'll take the old pipe off your hands if you're not going to use it haha

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

Did ya open up the intake before ya put the carb on. Even the gasket they give ya is too small. The flange thats welded to the intake tube can be filed out and opened up A LOT, and the gasket to match. And as long as you have the intake off, check the intake port. A lot of times it's not really as smooth as it could be, The casting is always jagged. better air/fuel flow may just solve the top rev problem.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, No rev limiter on the CDI. When was the last time ya changed yer spark plug?
yea i did all that on the intake side, even a little on the exhaust flange, it wasnt too bad to start with but i dremeled it all out anyways...

edit: good thinking on the plug, its a nice plug (ngkb6hs) and it has around 300 miles on it i would guess, ill pull it and take a peek at it

Looks sweet

I'll take the old pipe off your hands if you're not going to use it haha
thanks, yea you can have it if you want, i had to use the muffler and the flange for the head but the chamber itself and a few inches of pipe on either side are all still intact

Last edited:

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.

I need to get my hands on a decent welder first :p
Think MUFFLER SHOP! They weld a little cheaper than the machine shops. I did that for a couple years before I got mine. But ya gotta catch them on a slow day, Otherwise they will charge you up the wazoo.
fatdaddy.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.

Forced air intake?

Last edited:

lksdG2

Sep 30, 2012
san diego

I need to get my hands on a decent welder first :p
Haha well I'm sure it'll be around when your ready for it

Think MUFFLER SHOP! They weld a little cheaper than the machine shops. I did that for a couple years before I got mine. But ya gotta catch them on a slow day, Otherwise they will charge you up the wazoo.
fatdaddy.
This is a good idea, I did this for a while till I finally ponied up for my harbour freight welder

Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.
Very interesting, I've seen the ones for cars and figured it was a gimmick of some kind, your analogy of the 2 liter bottom has me thinking twice though...

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

If you peel the round sticker off of the back side of the fan frame it exposes the end of the motor shaft. The shaft is typically secured with a cheap plastic disc that snaps into a groove in the motor shaft. Pick the disc out and the fan blade comes off easily. No prying or gouging, chipping or cracking of the fan blade at all.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana

@fatdaddy

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna be makin' a trip to the parts store soon.

I'm going to use JB Weld to fill the gap on the rear mount, which will hopefully keep the frame from getting cut in half. I'm thinking, perhaps having the muffler U-bolt mount will change the mounting angle enough to straighten the rear mount. We'll have to see. I could really use a smaller crank sprocket. It's got a 7-1/2" on there right now. If that wasn't in the way, the motor would sit just right. I'm thinking about swapping my spacer to the rear mount to see if that would make things better. Whatever I do, I'm not gonna ride until I know I've got everything secure. I don't want to snap another frame.

On another note, I just contacted this guy
( http://louisville.craigslist.org/bar/3417439481.html ) to see what he'd be willing to trade for his nice OCC build. It looks like a 4-stroke. Hopefully he's into guitara and amps, because I've got several nice ones to trade.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him blasting around town. It may not have been him, but it was a similar bike. Same bike or not, I couldn't catch whoever it was. I was on a 30cc FD that couldn't do over 25.

Last edited:

obesepolice

Apr 5, 2012
irving, texas

went for a top speed run and hit 50 mph on a relatively flat road. but i will have to confirm that. I have a mechanical speedo.

Last edited:

2stroker

Apr 29, 2012
orlando

I rode the h*ll outta it today! 100mile ride! It was great backs a little sore but all in fun!

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA

I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FSY/K0E9/H994YOLN/FSYK0E9H994YOLN.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-convert-vertical-dropout-bicycle-to-1x1-wit/
I use this on a 1x1 mountain bike, with a coaster brake wheel set that I used to use on a happytime bike.

I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

Bike was running like crap, so I had to replace the exhaust gasket, I also cleaned the head while I was at it.

I also figured out why these things have clutch covers, so you don't get the hem of your pants leg shredded. :p

Guess I need to get the cover back on. :oops:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn

Bike was running like crap, so I had to replace the exhaust gasket, I also cleaned the head while I was at it.

I also figured out why these things have clutch covers, so you don't get the hem of your pants leg shredded. :p

Guess I need to get the cover back on. :oops:
Yeah I hate it when my pants legs get messed up from riding a bicycle, motor or not. I have some velcro straps that I use to keep the legs of my pants clear of the bike. It also helps to keep from getting grease on your pants legs.