4th build in the works

GoldenMotor.com

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
4th build in the works .... (Done)

scored a green moon dog on craigslist ($50) tires don't look like its ever been rode (they still got the little nubs). somebody removed the fenders... alright by me. gear shifter's gonna need fixed/replaced but all in all a pretty nice bike for the money.

thinkin about putting a springer front end on it and would like to keep the v-brakes... does anyone make a springer with the bosses already in place to mount v-brakes or is that something i'm gonna have to have my welder do?

brnot

Last edited:

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
ty much Bill... i knew i had seen builds with'em just wasn't sure if they came that way & was having no luck finding any

thanks again... much appreciated

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!! :)

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas
cool!I saw those on a bike and they didnt even use them they used a disc brake adapter and I was wondering"why the heck did they do that?"

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
1212111338a.jpg 1212111338.jpg 1212111339a.jpg 1212111337a.jpg

Just some mockup pics... still tryin to decide on a color.
Thinkin about looking into getting it powder coated.
Any ideas how much it would cost to do the frame, tank & rear fender?
Any of you guys in illinois that do powder coating? or know someone who does??

Last edited:

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Finally finished my winter project (well they're never really finished are they) i still want to replace the 90deg elbow on the exhaust and need to wire the rear light. Everyone says the seatpan looks uncomfortable but it's not as bad as i thought it would be. Took it for it's maiden voyage the first day of spring :) & it runs like a champ...

Attachments

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Very nice!
It looks very good!!!

...I ran less seat than that on a Vtwin for a number of years. No problemo.

Great work
rc

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Thanks guys... appreciate the compliments. The only real complaint I have so far is the squeaky springer fork. I've tried a couple different lubricants but neither last for more than a ride or two. Anyone know of a more permanent fix for this???

(p)

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The only real complaint I have so far is the squeaky springer fork. I've tried a couple different lubricants but neither last for more than a ride or two. Anyone know of a more permanent fix for this???

(p)
just a thought... perhaps some heavy bodied grease applied at assembly, then, some of that graphite impregnated cord which is used for valve stem packing, wrapped around the pivot bolts before they are tightened up????
...so the wrapping would act as a reservoir, holding the grease within the friction area???

maybe that could help?

I don't think there is enough metal present so proper bushings can be installed without a great deal of re-work. and, as we know, the squeak is a notice of abrasion that will lead to failure.

Good luck
rc

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Did you have someone powder coat it?

no, i got a hold of guy that does it around here and it was just too much $ for all the peices i wound up needing done... so i just found some rustoleum i liked and painted it myself. maybe if i ever need just a frame done i'll have him do the powder coat.

graphite impregnated cord which is used for valve stem packing

not sure what this is... but it definately sounds like it'd be worth giving it a try. where can i get this stuff?

flmotorbikes

Mar 23, 2012
Florida
Okay thanks for the info cause I am really wanting to powder coat my frame how much did he quote you cause I'm trying to find a relevant price

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
He wanted $190 for the frame, front forks, 2 fenders, gas tank & the three engine covers. If I remember right the frame itself was a around $100... which I didn't think was too bad considering he said he would do all the prep work. Sounded like he would have had to order the color i wanted so the price of the powder was not in the quote... not sure how much more $ that would have added.