Drive Shaft Bike Discussion

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Terry,
There has been some discussion over the years but to date I've not seen a successful shaft driven bike. The concept certainly isn't new. BMW started it years ago. Indian built a shaft drive motorcycle for the Army to be used in the sand during WWII. I have a friend who restored one.

You're correct in that the components would have to be beefy, maybe heavier than what your link bike has but the idea is sound. It would make an interesting project.

My guess is that the construction of the mechanics would depend on the rider's style. A guy who just cruises and never abuses his bike could get away with lighter components whereas the heavy hitters would need some stout metal in the build.

There are industrial parts out there that could be adapted for the purpose. Even good old Grainger could be a source for the gears and shaft material.
Tom

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
It is possible to do it. I bet you could find a way to mount a jackshaft kit on the link bikes. Maybe get a cruiser from them and mount a motor a jackshaft kit and see what happens. I' pretty sure it would would work but for how long till it gets torn up.

I saw they even have one with the shimano nexus hub on it. Anyone willing to fork out the cash and try one? I would but won't have the extra money for a while.

.wee.

Look Mom No chain!

Jul 15, 2009
waukegan IL. U.S.A.
Beyond the maint. Hassle ,fabracating sprial spline gears is almost impossible outside of a well equiped machine shop, even then shaft drive relies on thick casing and heavyduty bearings to maintain shaft alignment . Not impossible but very tech. Demanding... Good luck cool idea

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I recently changed the rear trire on my Honda Shadow 1100. Wasn't any harder than a motorcycle with a chain. Prolly a little easier. No messy chain and masterlink or chain adjustment to deal with.

Some bikes and scooters have the axle only on one side, and you just remove lug nuts to remove the wheel.

One wouldn't have to cut bevel gears ect to make a shaft drive bike. For instance, it wouldn't be hard to adapt the gearbox from an angle grinder . They have a built in 4 to 1 reduction. Or maybe a mower deck gearbox for something more heavy duty.

Plenty stuff out there that can be adapted.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Ya me too like I said I would but don't have the money to do another build yet,still paying off my last build. But I Have been thinking of designing a few bikes in AutoCAD a full suspension and a racer type I wonder if I could design an alternate one with shaft drive.

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i built one, had some trouble with the 8sp hub but got that fixed. ran pretty good but the high mounted motor is awkward. i still have it but don't ride it much.

to do one as a rear drive would be very hard as the pedal crank has no way of using a freewheel, would need to make a whole new crank drive so you could use a freewheel, or cut the crank arms off and not have pedals.

http://motorbicycling.com/f36/fwd-shaft-build-14646.html