Throttle to ATV Style Thumb?

GoldenMotor.com

mikldom

Jan 4, 2010
OBX, NC
Well,,

My twist throttle took a dump and is broke.

I was thinking instead of ordering a new throttle, what is the consensus on installing an ATV type thumb throttle?

I am thinking that when I build up the New one, I will have front and back brakes, and a clutch lever. It maybe easier to work a thumb throttle.

anybody done this? what do you think?

THANKS

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
A few people here have done that; some like it, some don't.
I grew up riding motorcycles, so I prefer to keep all the controls the same as on a MC...

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
Niagra sells a sweet little thumb shifter that works with most premade throttle cables for about $5. After you get used to it you dont even think about it being different at all. I have that on one bike and the twisty on the other and like them both. The thumb lever throttle came with my DE kit and Ive stayed with it after getting used to it.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Here is a Thumb throttle I installed on the RockHopper for a buddy, works great.
I used to have a finger throttle but it cramped my hand, I now use a twist throttle, hand doesn't cramp it just goes numb. The thumb unit may work better than what I was using.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
i remember glamis sand dunes when they were smooth and all of it was open. they had dune cycles, 5 hp fiberglass tubs with 3 wheels and then honda came out with the atc 90 and they had thumb throttles and i had my first thumb cramp. and they will sneak up on you just like that. alot of people switched to twist because once you start thumb cramping it aint going away anytime soon. [twist it around and use your fingers] only lots of riding will cure it

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I use to have an old skidoo with a thumb throttle, and I liked it. The build I am working on will have a thumb throttle because my twist got wrecked last year when I dumped my bike. The reason ATV and snowmachines have thumbs is that in a panic or loss of control the thumb is less likely to accelerate, where as a twist or even a brake lever type throttle you may be more inclined to grip and accelerate when out of control or "startled".

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
This was probably covered in some of the links Dave provided but to anyone planning on installing and using any type of throttle control make sure it has a spring return to idle. I've read where some guys have used click shifters which gave them "cruise control". That is a very bad, unsafe idea. In a panic situation you'll want that engine to slow down 'right now', not after you have to fiddle with some kind of mechanical release or detent.
Tom

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ferball you are correct i saw a lot of crashes with twist throttles and a click throttle's only good on a lawnmower

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
My friend's thumb throttle broke, so I gave him mine.

I just didn't wanna spend $$ on another. Since both brake cables hook up to a dual-pull lever, I simply reinstalled the bike's original brake lever. Then I connected the throttle cable to the left-side brake lever.

It works well!dance1