I measured the diameter of the
cylinder to 48cc.
Is it worth the effort? or should
I just get a new kit?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Get a new kit and save your good parts is what I would do..before ordering a said bottom end. That is just not cost effective to do

You might give us a picture of what you got to help us access your situation.. This still sounds like a old motor . If it has a brass bushing at the piston, send it to me if it has one please. lol. As I like to collect those and do some lath machining and reuse them.

They will not fit the new motors without some machine tool effort tho. The hole is too big for the connecting rod with them . The new motors use needle bearing cages. I got a fetish for those bushings and have a collection of old kings motor parts that are obsolete.

I make a brass sleeve fitting and use a press to get it into the new style connecting rod. A some what painful and delicate surgery lol.

Last edited:

anothen

Dec 31, 2010
Austin Texas
Get a new kit and save your good parts is what I would do..before ordering a said bottom end. That is just not cost effective to do

You might give us a picture of what you got to help us access your situation.. This still sounds like a old motor . If it has a brass bushing at the piston, send it to me if it has one please. lol. As I like to collect those and do some lath machining and reuse them.

They will not fit the new motors without some machine tool effort tho. The hole is too big for the connecting rod with them . The new motors use needle bearing cages. I got a fetish for those bushings and have a collection of old kings motor parts that are obsolete.
cool, I'll keep that in mind.
I already ordered ...
#1 Jet 66cc/80cc (2-Week Web Special Sale) [#Jet-66cc-80cc]
from kings, should be here early this week.

I also have a pull start on my
other bike. It runs okay and still
in break in period, but it seems
to want to stall at high rpm.
I think the carb may be
dirty.
It also does not have the power
that my other one has, I'm thinking
about installing the expansion
chamber on it.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
4 stroking is a term used when the 2 stroke style motor is running to rich on fuel. At full throttle it does not really die it just kinda cuts out and skips a firing stroke so to speak.

Yours sounds like fuel starvation then I am assuming. Fuel tank cap not venting correctly?
Clog in fuel line? Last the float level in the carb may be set to low? In this case the carb bowl cannot keep up with fuel demand at full throttle .

This is a fair read on the carby. http://motorbicycling.com/f4/motorized-bicycle-carburetor-pictures-how-install-195.html

anothen

Dec 31, 2010
Austin Texas
If you got 5 years outta that engine?, you got your moneys worth!!! (& some!) (^)
I'd just buy a new one. ;)
Yeah, I think you're right.
Well, I'll just keep the spare
parts handy.

Only complaint I seem to have
is the seat is uncomfortable.
Gee, I wonder if I could
mount my recliner on the
bicycle.

ken murphy

Sep 19, 2008
Yeah, I think you're right.
Well, I'll just keep the spare
parts handy.

Only complaint I seem to have
is the seat is uncomfortable.
Gee, I wonder if I could
mount my recliner on the
bicycle.
you can buy the bearings at any bearing store they are standard and probably better than stock and if you have it tore down that far you midaswell balance the crank.When you put it back together have fun w/that woodriff key on the magnito.fun fun fun a pipe and a Mikuni carb makes a big differance,just have to braze it up.brnot

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
If you are having trouble getting the main bearings (crankshaft bearings) out, you don't need any special tools like a bearing puller, you can push it out of the crank case with C-clamp.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Simply a drift punch and a light touch with a hammer if you got the whole motor apart. Which is where I would have such a well use motor so's to help see everything that's gone on.

Stuff like new seals case gasket etc.

anothen

Dec 31, 2010
Austin Texas
Well it's not stuck in the crankcase, its
on the shaft, but for now I'm not
going to mess w/it.

I cut part of it off w/ grinder, but
the inner part of the bearing is
still on the shaft.

The motor is probably so outdated
that parts may not be available.

I've already got a new motor
and riding it around.

zachattack

Dec 2, 2010
missouri
cool, I'll keep that in mind.
I already ordered ...
#1 Jet 66cc/80cc (2-Week Web Special Sale) [#Jet-66cc-80cc]
from kings, should be here early this week.

I also have a pull start on my
other bike. It runs okay and still
in break in period, but it seems
to want to stall at high rpm.
I think the carb may be
dirty.
It also does not have the power
that my other one has, I'm thinking
about installing the expansion
chamber on it.
this may sound abit wierd but mine did the same thing never really died out tho it ended up being the jet in the bowl of my carb its never was even screwd in just sitting in the bowl i dont even know how the dang thing ran but yea at high rpms it would bog down and sound like it would want to die and it would some times when i stoped but i would check that