Getting started

GoldenMotor.com

peter mills

Jul 17, 2010
White Cloud, MI
hi all,
I'm very glad to have found this forum. I've just started looking around for a bike motor and am slightly overwhelmed not having any knowledge or experience. I have a Schwinn Varsity (1 speed, disc brakes) that I'd like to add a relatively inexpensive kit (<300) to. I'd rather keep the volume down than go fast. I used to have a Honda Hobbit moped and I didn't like getting passed by bicycles over 15mph or scaring pedestrians after I bored a hole in the muffler for speed. I like the idea of getting to church 20 miles away without breaking a sweat. I am wondering if I'm way off base in my expectations or am I a fool for wanting to do this to a classic bike in good condition? Thanks in advance... without any help I probably would have ordered a black stallion from King's motor bikes and called it good.

peter

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Pete,
Welcome to the forum. You've come to the right place for help with your project. As for your choice of frames, if the Varsity is a 26" bike then you will have plenty of room for a engine. I wouldn't worry about the installation hurting the classic bike. Short of maybe a few scratches in the paint installing a kit will not damage the bike and it could be returned to original easily. Your expectations are not at all high and in fact quite reasonable. Let us know when you begin your project and especially if there is anything we can help with. Good luck; have fun.
Tom

peter mills

Jul 17, 2010
White Cloud, MI
awesome. thanks. So, is it a safe question to ask what's a good bike motor under $200? What's a good approach for narrowing down what seems like a ton of options?

shearbf

May 8, 2009
Muskegon,MI USA
Hi Peter, and welcome! We are near neihbors. I am in Lakeside, Muskegon. Had a White Cloud address for a few years long ago. I am a MB nut and have been puting China Girls on classic American bikes for a while. The 66cc kit as sold is ALL you need to start and they go at least 27mph after break in. Cruse 15-25 easy & comfortable. Since all kits are 'bout the same no matter who sells it to you, shop price & cost to ship. Contrary to things you might hear, there is at least one ebay store that I've used for years and would highly recomend for cost & service. But I have bought kits & parts from many of the dealers you see here and have never been dissatisfied. If you contact me privately I could give you my phone # & chat about MBs. Got a close friend by Diamond Lake, that I haven't seen in quite a while.
Brian