4g 2010 Delmar Fatboy

GoldenMotor.com

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
hey gang here is my new build in progress. going for the fatboy look. i have a triple crown fork coming. this thing feels wide and low with the bars i have on it . im 6ft 6and when i sit on this thing my arms are straight out! the back fender is going off. should i keep the whitewalls or add some fat flame tires?

Attachments

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
photo4.jpg

photo2.jpg

delmar complete.jpg

delmar complete 2.jpg

delmar complete 3.jpg
hey gang here is my new build in progress. going for the fatboy look. i have a triple crown fork coming. this thing feels wide and low with the bars i have on it . im 6ft 6and when i sit on this thing my arms are straight out! the back fender is going off. should i keep the whitewalls or add some fat flame tires?
here some pics of the finished bike

Last edited:

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I like it alot. Maybe keep an eye on ebay for a used motorcycle tank so it sets lower. This is a yamaha enduro 60 tank. You'd need one a little wider.

HDbike.JPG

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
Terry u are a 4G expert.i have the honda trans that comes with the clutch. i have the bike idled down so low it almost wants to stall and the clutch is still trying to engage. i checked the clutch and the springs are very soft. if you have run into this issue can u get replacement clutch springs that are little stiffer or is there away to stiffen the ones i have? any help would greatly appreciated.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Well Thank you very much for the awesome compliment the answer is an easy one and very common your cc bushing needs to be soaked in 10 30 motor oil for 24hrs and then reinstalled here are some pictures to help you out.

4G Oilite Bushing.jpg this pic just shows exactly what the part looks like it is the one in the middle

27 - Copy.jpg this pic shows the bushing removed and where from

36.jpg this is an animated drawing of just where it is located

Now remove the belt cover loosen the T belt, now remove the belt, at the clutch bell there will be a single bolt remove the bolt and washer, you should now be able to remove the the oil lite bushing or cc bushing what ever you want to call it, now soak it in oil for 24hrs, then reinstall and you will be good to go. by the way there is no question of what the problem is this is the cure I guaranty it
Cheers
Terry
PS sorry for the slow response

Last edited:

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
OH and I really like to hear about it when the job is done most of the time when guys fix things they learn some thing and it is really cool when they pass what they have learned along. That and it is nice to hear a success story that I had something to do with :)

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Here is a little 4G trivia for you the Honda 4G or the 4G for the 5/8 shaft is 3/4 of an inch more narrow that the original 4G and makes it narrow enough to use the more popular one piece wide crank. And puts the 4G in the same width as the competition

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
Hey Terry I hope thats it. i did soak it in 30w synthetic for 24hrs but i did remove the clutch bell and bushing a couple of times making sure everything was right i think maybe some thread loc may have contaminated the assembly. thanks for the info Terry i allow love to pass on the knowledge i get so it may help someone else. i will let u know how it goes.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Yes this is a very common thing with this type of 4G but once you understand it you will know just what to do when it starts to do this again. I help lots of people that have not purchased from me and that is cool the only pay back I get is to hear if it actually helped them. There is on more thing you can do and that is heat the oil up when soaking the cc bushing but PLEASE FOR GOD SAKES DON'T BURN YOUR SELF or anything else. This will make the cc bushing soak up more oil just remember how potentially dangerous hot oil can be.

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Hey Terry I hope thats it. i did soak it in 30w synthetic for 24hrs but i did remove the clutch bell and bushing a couple of times making sure everything was right i think maybe some thread loc may have contaminated the assembly. thanks for the info Terry i allow love to pass on the knowledge i get so it may help someone else. i will let u know how it goes.
Hi, I am having similar issues but I soaked mine in heated oil before installing it. Here is a youtube video of what it does.
http://www.youtube.com/user/abikerider#p/u/3/EiQXbTdpNAM
Is this what yours was doing?
It seems to spin freely when I don't have the belt on and it's not grabbing while pull starting it.
I think I'll try lowering the idle a bit. If that doesn't do it I will try soaking in oil again to see if it helps.
Terry, do you have any other suggestions?

Last edited:

abikerider

Jul 7, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I just tried lowering the idle and it still grabs a little even when the idle is so low that it is ready to stall. Sooo, the problem is not a high idle. Also, it makes a little tinging sound while it is trying to grab. It really does seem like the clutch springs are too weak but I will try soaking the bushing again.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
Hi Mike
It is just like you said you may have gotten some lock tight in there just redo it soak the bushing again try and do the treatment with heat if you use heat go to 300 degrees for 3 hrs and you should be good to go JUST REMEMBER HOW DANGEROUS HOT OIL CAN BE

sphilsaw1

Jun 18, 2009
Rochelle IL
I just tried lowering the idle and it still grabs a little even when the idle is so low that it is ready to stall. Sooo, the problem is not a high idle. Also, it makes a little tinging sound while it is trying to grab. It really does seem like the clutch springs are too weak but I will try soaking the bushing again.
Hey abikerider I resoaked my bearing a couple of times too and i inspected the clutch and the clutchsprings seem very soft and one spring seems softer than the others two. all my clutchspings are adjusted til the clutch adjustment nuts until they stop. i know my old hoot gearbox cutch springs are so strong i can barely pull the clutch shoes apart, but the 4G clutch shoes use very little effort to pull them apart. i know they are different but wow those honda 4G springs are very weak. Is there anything else we can do like a firmer clutch spring or lighter clutch shoes. i love the 4G accept for that pesky clutch.

Terry Blow

Dealer & Custom Builder
Oct 29, 2009
Surrey B.C Canada
You can not get heavier springs I have looked into that the only thing you can do is try to shorten the spring slightly I don`t know what else to say any time this happens it because of the bushing not getting enough lube it also could be that it just needs to break in.

Last edited: